New Narrow PM-V11 Chisels From Veritas

brooklyngohardwood

==>How do these feel compared to the Lie Nielsen?

I'm supposed to get a set of PM-V11 Butt Chisels delivered today -- hopefully after the wife leaves for golf :)

I've had a set of LN's A2 Bevel-edge for a while... The feel and balance of the LN's are the best bench-chisels I've used...

I've a few paring handles for the LNs -- but don't like the balance...

I'll post something after I've used the Butt Chisels for a while. Granted, it's not quite a like-for-like comparison (Butt Chisels are blade-heavy by design), but it maybe helpful for someone sitting on the fence...

How do these feel compared to the Lie Nielsen? I have a set of 6 of the LN with these sizes included, very handy to have.

The balance is different - I like both for that, hard to nail down the difference, seems like more of the mass is central on the Veritas.  The more pronounced cove on the L-N pattern is a bit small in my hands, but sometimes that seems to work well.

How do these feel compared to the Lie Nielsen? I have a set of 6 of the LN with these sizes included, very handy to have.

I remember the Veritas as a bit heavier and more balanced.  In my experience, the LN and newer Stanley sockets have lighter handles.  I really like all three, and don't think you'd go wrong with any of them.  You'll spend a half day getting the Stanley's stripped of protective clearcoat and the backs flattened.  I currently use the Stanley sockets, as I was given a free set, and neither of the other two blow me away enough to switch.

If I were buying new, I'd probably buy the Veritas or LN, just 'cause I get lazier about tool prep as I get older...    ;)   I also have some antiques, Two Cherries, and Marples Blue Chips.  These were all purchased before the LN, PM-11 and new Stanley were available, and it WAS worth switching away from them. 

I'm visiting the school tomorrow.   I'll feel up the Veritas and LN's side by side again and report back.

I don't own the LV or the LN but have picked up both at hand tool events and they both feel more well balanced than my current Narrex. 

One weird thing I noticed about the LN is that the A2 felt a lot lighter than the O2—or am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed a difference in weight between the two metals?

I don't own the LV or the LN but have picked up both at hand tool events and they both feel more well balanced than my current Narrex. 

One weird thing I noticed about the LN is that the A2 felt a lot lighter than the O2—or am I crazy? Has anyone else noticed a difference in weight between the two metals?

Most of my chisels are Narex, which I also like, but absolutely agree.

The weight you observe must be a machining difference for performance reasons, because the two are very very close in density.

• 2 weeks later...

I have four chisels in this Veritas PMV11 set already.  Took a joinery class at William Ng's School back in January, kept wishing I had something smaller than 1/4" to do smaller pins.  Now I guess I'll have to open up my wallet...

My experience so far has been pretty good.  Chisels came acceptably sharp out of the box.  Made the mistake of starting on 600 grit waterstone when I flattened the back of my first one, took me forever to get the scratches out.  On my 1" chisel, started with a 1000 grit and things went much better.  Still took me a few hours still to get the back nice and mirror-polished, but fortunately with both chisels the low spot was in the center, so the time it took to flatten the backs was mostly a factor of my vanity.  They come with a microbevel already, so getting the bevel up to snuff took no time at all.  

In use, I've noticed I've gotten a couple of nicks in the edge faster than I expected, but Im pretty clumsy and drop my chisels a lot, so YMMV.  Handles feel nice in my hand.  Beyond that, they cut like butta.

TMWW