The size of the clear slabs...

Tpt life

Done a little of that, although in much smaller trees. Never been more tense than when topping out a tree I was tied to. Never worked harder that hoisting myself up into a live tree with only a climbing rope (no spikes) and a chainsaw dangling from my belt. Gotta respect those guys that make a carreer of it.

A lot depends on the tree species and condition. Also the number of branches and surroinding trees that might slow the descent. What tree felling I have observed seems to indicate more impact damage when the felled trunk is twisting as it hits the ground. Experienced timber cutters get pretty good at cutting square so the tree falls straight.

• 2 weeks later...

Great video ...thanks for posting!  I also had no idea the Russians were once in CA. 

Also, think about having one of those huge slabs about 2 inches thick for a dining room table!

One more thing...With all of the modern technology we have now, it's not too different today from the way these men were getting it done.  They looked just as fluid and productive as anyone does today.  It did make me wince when they said that redwood is used for railroad cross ties because it's resistant to the embers from the trains....cross ties! And......somewhere out there......those cross ties are still there!

You can almost see Russia from the Redwood Forest...

I worked for a tree service for a few (horrible) years while in college.  Felling trees is scary business...no matter how good you get at it, you can never fully predict what it'll do.  It's wood.  We all know how uncooperative it can be.  I witnessed a couple disasters...fortunately they were not trees I cut.

You're right Eric.....My dad taught me to 'read trees' and how to cut them to make them fall where you want them to.  The thing we all know that doesn't always work! When I've almost cut through the tree, I watch the top and it's easier to tell when it's beginning to fall.  When it starts to move, GET OUT!!! because you never know where the butt is going.