Riser block on the G0555

Chuck Melton

My Grizz senses were tingling! You may need an extra hand installing that riser block. Not hard, but awkward and a little heavy for one guy. 

Get the mobile base too. I have this one... Love it! Easier to install all at once.

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-HTC2000-Adjustable-Universal-Mobile/dp/B00002262M/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF8&qid=1395015093&sr=1-1&keywords=htc+2000

I just tossed the Shopfox mobile base in the cart at Grizzly. My garage space is a pretty small so stuff gets moved semi frequently.

Now I have some motivation to get some organizing / rearranging done so I have space for the bandsaw when it gets here.

That is the only thing keeping me from buying the exact same model! Once I'm done with my current project I am going to rearrange the garage (again) to fit that bad boy in. Thanks for the extra motivation. So jealous!

• Like 1

I have the Grizz  G0555 with riser I've had mine at least 7yrs I love it through the blade that comes with the kit and buy a 3tpi deed gullet blade, I thought I had made a terrible mistake buying the saw as it wouldn't cut worth a damn than I got a different blade and, than I was in love :wub:  

• Like 1

I already placed an order for a new blade.

Anyone have an opinion as to whether the Woodslicer is good for general purpose stuff or if I should just use it for resawing and get something else for everyday.

My benchtop bandsaw is going on craigslist now, along with some old routers I had been hoarding. I think the real purging / rearranging is going to happen tomorrow. I am annexing some non-woodworking storage space... soon enough the wife will let me have the whole garage.

I have a 1/4" Timberwolf I got from my local Menards, a 1/4" Olson I got from Woodcraft and a 1/2" Woodslicer from Highland.  Despite comments about off the shelf blades, I haven't had a bad one yet.  I've touched up each of the 1/4" blades once and will likely need new ones soon as I've used them quite a bit.  There's a lot to be said for good sharp blades.

I got the new saw assembled today and slapped the riser block in it.

It was definitely a two man job, luckily my father in law was happy to help. After assembly, it really didn't take much time to get everything dialed in. I am sure it's not 100% perfect but I believe I have all the blade guides set appropriately and have the fence adjusted adequately for drive.

I love this saw! Why did I ever bother trying to get by with a bench top band saw...

If I had to pick out some gripes, one small edge on the frame casting is kind of rough, they used super cheap cap screws to secure the power switch to the frame, and they put the instructions all the way on the bottom of the box that the saw comes in. How about moving them to the box with the stand in it?

I milled down a bunch of end grain cutting board scraps into 5/32" thick trim for a project, it was awesome being able to safely do all those thin rips.

I might try and slap together a resaw fence tomorrow and put the Woodslicer blade to work on a piece of curly maple I've been dying to resaw for a serving tray bottom.

I haven't put the general use Timberwolf blade on there yet, but I I think I see some band saw boxes in its future.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't buy their resaw fence. I have a quarter sheet of 3/4 MDF waiting to be turned in to one.

Unfortunately work and spring landscaping has been keeping me from getting it done.

I was pretty amazed at my resaw test results from just using the stock fence, given it was only a 5" board but it came out in nice even slices down to 3/16" or so.

I too was amazed the first time I tried. I even brought the two pieces to my office to impress my non-wood working employees. I got one of those smiles like, yeah, so what! Didn't matter, I was proud :P

I made my wife look at 4 bookmatched veneer slices... She was way less excited about it than I was.

• Like 1