Deciding on a space for wood shop

duckkisser

I might be buying a house from my brother. It has two possible spaces for a shop. The garage and the basement. The garage needs a new roof as it leaks badly, needs insulation, new panels put up on the walls, electrical, lighting, second box to stretch out the power and increase the circuits. The garage is only a one car garage. The basement needs lighting, second box, electrical walls need to sealed to prevent moisture. and it is much larger then the garage it's the size of the house. Just one large room with a furnace and water heater in the middle of the room. Large enough I could have a spray booth down there.

My concern is for moisture with the tools and carrying/ moving the equipment down the stairs. And I don't have a family right now but eventually the noise of the machine would be a problem for everyone up stairs.

For those of you with basement shops how do you feel about it, what kind of problems have you found? What is the nice part of basement shops?

Hey Duck - that's pretty exciting! It sounds like you'll have your hands full with that place though. Is the garage attached? I've never had a shop in the garage, but if it's attached I imagine it could be pretty similar to a basement shop except for the easier access - I'm assuming it could be heated, insulated , etc.

I like my basement shop. It's heated, convenient, easy to work on (make changes, add lighting). It's a good size for me - I'd like more space but I decided to leave space for "basement stuff" (storage, extra fridge, etc). I'd like taller ceilings - that is probably the biggest downside. Getting tools down there was a challenge but I do have stairs down from the outside so it was manageable. In the summer, the air conditioning keeps the whole house cool and dehumidified which is nice.

As I said I never worked in a garage. If it was a 2-car that would be tempting. But a single might be a little cramped, depending on what you want to do with it. Why not use both? Main shop in the basement and turn the garage into your finishing room with a spray booth.

I've had a basement shop, and when I first got it I was excited.  All I needed to do was go right downstairs, and I could work whenever I wanted to!

The dog, however, also liked to go downstairs, and while he was a wonderful companion, he wasn't so good at cleaning or sanding.  (Plus he enjoyed leaving presents and moisture behind after he came downstairs... usually on my wood stacked for the next project.)

I also found that the lower ceilings were more limiting than I had suspected they would be.  The ductwork tended to spring into the way of turning sheet goods and long boards around.  Then there was also the issue of sawdust making its way into the ductwork and living spaces... and the furnace went through filters three times as fast as it had before.

Also, and I don't know how I escaped, I did a Very Bad Thing by putting the lathe right next to the hot water tank.  All that dust should have ignited in the gas fumes, but it didn't.  Even the air flow past the hot water tank left lots of dust and sawdust settled around the tank.

I've used an attached garage for a shop (before the basement shop), and thought it was cool, but it felt too much like a closet.  Meaning it was one of those rooms you go into because you have to, not because you wanted to.  The "man clutter" was very heavy in that garage (not my shop/garage/clutter), and it wasn't as functional as I had hoped.  Then again, since it wasn't my shop or garage, I had very little to say about the organization.  That might have made a big difference.

I have used detached garages, both 1 car and 2 car versions.  (And once a 3 car version... that was beautiful while it lasted.)  I prefer those, as there's a separation of work/home mindset that happens when you take more than 12 steps to enter the next location.  Somehow, the mind makes a transition, and you ignore all those other little problems because you are now focused on the wood work ahead of you.

Not having either now, and living in the fantasy that the landlord would let me add whatever version I wanted (either a basement or a garage), I'd be torn.  Part of what I want is a garage for car work, because I enjoy some smaller tasks.  But that requires a space large enough for the car... which doesn't flow too well with a typical shop layout for woodworking.  But not having a direct access to the outside for a basement shop can definitely ruin a project or your day.  (I left a storage shelf unit I custom made because the height of the stairs at the bottom were not the same as at the top: the unit got wedged in the stairwell, and I needed to repair the plaster from yanking it back into the basement.  Fortunately, the landlord accepted the unit as a trade for the repair.)

I have also wondered how basement woodworkers keep from blowing the house up or pissing the wife off with all the dust! I remember seeing a post on Matts basement workshop where their were foot prints leaving his shop up the stairs and well you know. Other than the dust thing I think it would be nice though. Its all about dust collection baby!

Decent dust collection is a good start.  I think mine is good - not great, but good.  The only culprit left is my CMS, which has no dust collection attached.  I have a ceiling mounted air cleaner which helps a lot.  As for tracking it through the house....my work shoes go on when I enter the shop and come off my feet when I leave my shop.  That helps keep the dust contained.  As for blowing up the house - my heat and hot water system is direct vented (pulls fresh air in from outside) and I use a window mounted fan to get slight cross-ventilation through my shop, so any fumes do not creep into the living area.

both. i do rough milling and cut most joinery in garage. then I do assembly and finishing in basement. that way i have a clean, temperature controlled space with music and some beers for the "chill" parts of the project. so my garage has all my machines and tools. basement has assembly table, glue, clamps, etc.

Have had two basement shops. Shop one was in a townhouse, shop two (current) is in a regular house.

As far as noise, I had to work every effectively in the original shop due to neighbors on the other side of the wall. Never ran loud power tools past ten, and I would space projects out. Namely because the more ongoing noise is, the more likely they're going to complain, whereas if they don't hear anything in a while, they start to forget and the cycle starts again. Now the new shop is no problem and because I live alone, it's free reign whenever I want to work...noon...7PM...1AM...and yes, it's pretty sweet.

Height can be an issue. Shop one had normal open ceilings and it rarely got in my way. Shop two has very low / finished ceilings - compounded by hanging duct work - and it's a royal pain, but just have to work around it. Temperature is awesome, the original shop was cool in the summer, warm in the winter. Not so lucky with the new one, the heater definitely has to be running in the cold...not sure how the summer will be as I just got there.

Stairs was an issue with carrying equipment and stuff at the old place. Fortunately the new place has a side basement door, but it's actually a pair of doors at 90 degrees to one another, so I still cannot get full sheets of plywood in there without breaking them down. On the plus side, the inside area past the first door is a cellar, so makes a perfect spot for wood storage.

Both shops have the laundry area in the general vicinity. Can't separate this off as I can't modify rental property (and a waste of my own dollars, anyway). So laundry day is never on shop day. New shop has a basement refrigerator that came with it...I don't take advantage of this as much as I should. New shop has a bathroom, but it's not very good and would rather use the one upstairs...I converted it into a spraying room. And there is a utility sink in the shop area, that is very handy for cleanup.

Dust wise, I'm pretty efficient on collection, so haven't had much issues tracking dust through the place.

Eventually I will buy my own house and not being tied to rental property anymore, I will certainly make modifications. I definitely want a "true" walk-in basement where I can bring plywood and long boards in, an area for a true spray room that can vent outdoors, and I may soundproof the area depending on what's feasible. And the laundry area will definitely be separated off, but ideally the first floor would have an area for washer/dryer instead.

The one car garage part is the bummer.  But it seems like you stick to mostly turning and smaller craft stuff, so maybe you don't need a ton of space?...unless you intend to buy more machines and start doing bigger flat work.

I tinkered with the idea of setting up shop in the basement; even had tape on the floors marking out where all the tools would go.  Sometime during that process, I had to build some shelves in another part of the basement, which required me to carry a stack of 2x4s and a few sheets of plywood down there.  I immediately realized that a basement shop would suck.  Sorry basement guys.  Dragging tools, lumber and sheet goods down there, then dragging your bigger finished pieces back up...not my idea of an efficient or pleasant system.  Not to mention the low ceilings and the dust and noise issues.

So I took over the garage and haven't looked back.  Tool and lumber deliveries, no problem.  Dust, no problem.  Noise, no problem...at least not as much as it would be downstairs.  On nice days I open all the doors and it's as good as being outside.  Fresh air and natural daylight.  This summer I plan to finish the insulation (garage door and ceiling), and add an A/C unit, and I'll be as comfortable as any basement woodworker.  At that point I honestly won't be able to think of a single benefit of a basement workshop, at least in my particular situation.

Both spaces need these lights, electrical, insulation (basement might need to frame out walls), second circuit box,install dust collection, compressed air lines

The basement down sides-needs possible sealing from moisture, cold, everything carried down and up a flight of stairs, furnace is in the room. ( might need to Inclose it).

Basement pluses are gas heater on one side, able to put more plug in rather then run more electrical to the garage, large enough space for spray booth and all my tools and assembly tables. Size is 40x34, built in shelving , security of being in the house.

The garage down sides- size are 17 x 19 feet ' walls ripped open and insulation put in, walls faced, ceiling put on, roof replaced (going to be done anyways)

Garage pluses, one side opens up for fresh air and light, away from the house, ease of carrying in and out of the house, once it's insulated will be warmer them basement.

Thinking ill end up setting up in basement

The one car garage part is the bummer.  But it seems like you stick to mostly turning and smaller craft stuff, so maybe you don't need a ton of space?...unless you intend to buy more machines and start doing bigger flat work.

I tinkered with the idea of setting up shop in the basement; even had tape on the floors marking out where all the tools would go.  Sometime during that process, I had to build some shelves in another part of the basement, which required me to carry a stack of 2x4s and a few sheets of plywood down there.  I immediately realized that a basement shop would suck.  Sorry basement guys.  Dragging tools, lumber and sheet goods down there, then dragging your bigger finished pieces back up...not my idea of an efficient or pleasant system.  Not to mention the low ceilings and the dust and noise issues.

So I took over the garage and haven't looked back.  Tool and lumber deliveries, no problem.  Dust, no problem.  Noise, no problem...at least not as much as it would be downstairs.  On nice days I open all the doors and it's as good as being outside.  Fresh air and natural daylight.  This summer I plan to finish the insulation (garage door and ceiling), and add an A/C unit, and I'll be as comfortable as any basement woodworker.  At that point I honestly won't be able to think of a single benefit of a basement workshop, at least in my particular situation.

I'm goeting to the point where I want to start moving to larger project right now I do smaller crafter stuff because of lack of room. And tools.

My $0.02 worth is this: I would NOT want a wood shop in a basement, especially sharong space with a furnace and/or water. More especially if either of them used flame heat rather than electric. I'm using an attached (barely) garage, and keeping dust out of the house is a big enough chore already. Although I refuse to give up my indoor parking, when the cars are out I have a tone of space in which to work. 24 x 36, with 12' ceiling. Even with my truck and wife's car, plus 3 bikes, 2 scooters, and one 4- wheeler inside, I can still do a fair amount of work. Of course, my contractor saw is the largest tool I use, and everything is on wheels.

Still leaning towards basement but thinking I might Inclose furnice and water heater in seperate room since they're close to the far end by the wall.Use it for storage

Maybe put dustcollector and air compressor back there. Keep floating dust out of air and make the noise lesson a bit.

Another issue I just found out about when it rains a lot the rain funnels down to the front of the garage so might be issues there. Would need to dig up part of the Lawn and have the In tire yard slope towards the creek. Pain in the but but i can handle that on my own

I remember seeing a post on Matts basement workshop where their were foot prints leaving his shop up the stairs and well you know.

Has anyone tried those sticky doormats that contractors sometimes use?  I see them all the time at work when a room is getting renovated and they don't want to track dust through the rest of the building.

maybe seems like it would be better to have shop shoe and house shoe..........i plan on doing a good job of dust collecting.  2hp dust collector for the main tools, shop vac for clean up, shop vac for dedicated miter saw, maybe a second 1hp dust collector just for my sanding equipment.  i see those all the time. but i think my 2hp will be enough. 

We were in a basement shop for years Dan. All of the machinery that is in the new shop was in the basement except for the big compressor, planer, drum sander, and OSS. The stairs had two 90 degree turns and the big machinery had to be taken apart to get down and then again when it came out. Sheet goods were always a pain and you had to be be careful how you built certain projects because you would never get them out.

Noise? Didn't care about how much was made but it wasn't too bad upstairs. Dust collection was me and a broom but always kept it clean while working and still do that today. Furnace and hot water heater were in a separate room and never had any problems.

If I had to make the choice again between basement and garage, I would choose the basement. Cars go in the garage.

Whatever you choose you're going to want to fix that roof on the garage anyway, so that's a baked in cost period.  Upgrades like lighting and more power can be done as needed.  I'd go with the garage and hope to expand one day or dedicate a section of the basement for smaller projects, hand tool work, etc.  Leave the large dust/chip producing tools in the garage.

We were in a basement shop for years Dan. All of the machinery that is in the new shop was in the basement except for the big compressor, planer, drum sander, and OSS. The stairs had two 90 degree turns and the big machinery had to be taken apart to get down and then again when it came out. Sheet goods were always a pain and you had to be be careful how you built certain projects because you would never get them out.

Noise? Didn't care about how much was made but it wasn't too bad upstairs. Dust collection was me and a broom but always kept it clean while working and still do that today. Furnace and hot water heater were in a separate room and never had any problems.

If I had to make the choice again between basement and garage, I would choose the basement. Cars go in the garage.

haha i actuly was looking through the forum and you posted something similar but saying the opposite how much you hated being in the basement.   if my garage was anywhere close to my basement size i would set up in there but its not.  the garage is tiny i could part 4 cars in this basement. plus the basement has electricity, and a sink that i can use for cleaning up.  

good to see you back ill call you to later to ask how your trip overseas went.......by the way i hate you for going there :)

Whatever you choose you're going to want to fix that roof on the garage anyway, so that's a baked in cost period. Upgrades like lighting and more power can be done as needed. I'd go with the garage and hope to expand one day or dedicate a section of the basement for smaller projects, hand tool work, etc. Leave the large dust/chip producing tools in the garage.

rather then put in lights one light at a time i would like to get all this stuff in when the house is empty. if im going to replace floors, and bathrooms, paint the house then i would like to get lights, piping all installed at the same time. then my shop will be ready to go as soon as i move in. in fact the shop will get done before the rest of the house so i can cut and shape the stuff i need for upstairs.

That seems to help for me.  Also having kids around masks a lot of things....maybe you should get going on that ;)

that why i am getting the house so i can start dating without bringing them to my momie's and dadie's home :) little strange living at home at my age. 

haha i actuly was looking through the forum and you posted something similar but saying the opposite how much you hated being in the basement.   if my garage was anywhere close to my basement size i would set up in there but its not.  the garage is tiny i could part 4 cars in this basement. plus the basement has electricity, and a sink that i can use for cleaning up.  

good to see you back ill call you to later to ask how your trip overseas went.......by the way i hate you for going there :)

I did hate being in the basement and I'm glad I don't have to be down there anymore, much nicer being in the pole barn. If I had a garage shop I would have to constantly listen to the wife bitching her new car is outside. It's the whole happy wife, happy life thing. You'll figure that out one of these years.

Italy was awesome!

nocked out a rough idea of my shop on the grizzly shop planing sites what do you think? should i change anything?

http://cdn0.grizzly.com/shopplanner/v1-2/shopplanner.html?planID=555C4B82-FC13-44E7-80B4-D1FFCC79B417

under the stairs will be my lumber storage since its completely open. ill just build some simple shelves. in the top area ill do most of my heavy machine work.in the top left will be my spray booth. on the far top is a counter for my chop saw, apparently grizzly does not know about them so i could not put a machine there :)  near the sinks ill do my assembly and finishing so i have the running water, ill also do my lapidary there since the machines need water. im going to enclose my furnace and water heater in the bottom left corner so it stays clean.  on the furnace room wall ill put some cabinets and a counter there to use as a prep area for my finishes and mixing.  above that ill hang all my small tools tools like tape measures and chisels since ill also be using that wall there ill have my carving bench. i put my air compressor right between assembly area and the booth so i can have the best pressure for spraying or for nailing projects together.  the furnace room will just be storage so i can keep the odd ball stuff out from being clutter stuff like Christmas decorations and spare light bulbs ect... 

what would you guys change do you think that this would be an ideal use of the space? have i forgotten something?

I think you have a lot of tools to buy!

First off, why do you have a knife grinder in the shower? I would also turn the TS around so the fence is not against the out feed table, might make it easier to use. Move the jointer along the TS and build a bench along that wall so it's the same height as your TS. Make it less than 8' from the front of your TS, that way when cutting sheets goods you can lay it on the saw and the bench when starting cuts on full sheets. If you turn the planer you'll be able to run longer boards.

I would also wall in the toilet.