Feedback on new email format

estesbubba

The new email format looks better on phones but the text is still pretty small. If you want a newsletter that looks great on desktop, tablets, and phones, you could look into a responsive email template. If you're using a pre-built template from your email provider they might have a responsive template option. If you're building the template yourself Zurb is a great framework for responsive design and even has a newsletter template.

http://zurb.com/playground/responsive-email-templates

My website uses a responsive design. Do demonstrate how responsive works, open it with your browser maximized and slowly shrink the width. You'll see how menu and content changes to adapt to the screen size and still look good on all devices.

http://suiteronline.com/category/woodworking/

If you're interested in building a responsive template and have any questions let me know. 

• 2 weeks later...

You can embed videos as responsive into non-responsive posts and emails, right?  (Still working out some of the stuff on the school paper website, and my tenure ends in 4 weeks.)

as for the new format... not a big fan, as I still get the emails via laptop.  While I appreciate the phone for so much, I still segment and compartmentalize.  If I know it's going to have ads, pop-ups, or pull-out video, I save it for non-mobile.

• 2 weeks later...

mostly it's a time issue... As the semester wraps, I find I have less time than before.  So, unless all the headlines are at the top of the visible page or screen, I flag it for later follow up and move on.  (You don't want to know how many flags I've got pending right now.)  It might also be because of the year spent with the paper learning a whole lotta things I didn't know and won't get a grade for.  

The whitespace around the information indicates the message was clearly crafted for the longer screen of the phone.  Since I still use a laptop, where the screen is wider than longer, the message requires more scrolling through to read.  Not trying to complain, but there are times when I don't have the luxury of taking that much time to read an article or message.  (Oh, how I can't wait for May.)  So I get the mindset to come back and follow up.  This means I usually miss something right away, but I will read the message like most woodworkers read their preferred wood working magazine: chunks of it here and there in a leisurely fashion - and maybe months after publication.

(I can only imagine what your schedule looks like.  I know you put a lot of hard work into these emails, and I do appreciate them.  Really.)

Estesebubba- our provider doesn't currently offer responsive templates. When they do, we'll certainly look into it.

jHop - What don't you like, specifically, about the new format? 

Marc - do they allow you to use your own templates? If they do and you want some help, let me know and I could whip you up a starting point for a responsive email template. 

• 4 weeks later...