First woodworking project

kingswoodworking

This is my very first woodworking project that i made my mother for christmas. It is made for purple heart, with maple and walnut inlay and maple splines. Wipe on poly finish. As you can tell from the photos i made a few mistakes like the crack in the wood which was from me dropping the lid when showing it to her and i had attempted to add hinges yeah not so good at that yet.

post-15376-0-24754700-1395438376_thumb.j

post-15376-0-48700600-1395438387_thumb.j

post-15376-0-33070700-1395438400_thumb.j

post-15376-0-97943600-1395438413_thumb.j

• Like 1

Congratulations on showing your first project. I think I burned mine (without showing anyone). Mistakes happen, experience comes not from making other mistakes, but from knowing how to hide them. Keep going, after all if it was easy, it wouldn't be an interesting hobby, right?

The dimensions seem right, I like the top, perhaps the inner compartments could have been slimmer. Overall I'd say a good start. Well done.

John

• 4 weeks later...

Pretty box...I feel your pain on the crack in the purple heart.  That stuff snaps like a piece of dark chocolate.

Very pretty mitre keys, and no visible slop on the ends from the blade kerf. 

Homemade boxes never (hopefully) wind up in the trash.  Always nice to know it'll be around for a while and create it's own history.

Kudos for taking on a challenging first project.

Fantastic first project. If your mom is like mine, she probably never noticed the flaw. If you would like to do other boxes, try a "Basic Box Making" by Doug Stowe in book and/or video. He is the Marc Spagnuolo of decorative box making. Keep up the good work.