Need a source for hardwoods

tim0625

I live in SC. I'm looking for a source to buy hardwoods in the area.  I'd like to find a place in

SC, NC, GA, or  TN that I could possible drive to or it's close enough it won't kill me on shipping.

Maybe you know of somewhere a little farther away that can ship and they don't scald you on the shipping costs.  Ideas?

Thanks

Tim, my uncle lives in augusta, and he went to luthier school in atlanta. When i visited we went to atlanta to buy lumber. I forget the names of the places, but theres a rockler there, and i think highland is over there as well. The place we went was more of a specialty stock lumber place, with lots of unique pieces. The school would take the students there in the beginning of each semester to buy wood for the builds.

Atlanta Hardwoods is in Smyrna Ga. off I-285 and they have domestic and a pretty good selection of exotic lumber They also have veneers, plywood and laminates.

Carlton Mclendons Rare Woods is off Northside drive near the GA Tech campus. They have an incredible selection of exotic lumber and veneers.

Suwanee is well north of Atlanta and has better pricing on domestic hardwoods & mahogany. They are open 1/2 days on Saturday.

Yeah, I did a map quest and I'd be coming in from Greenville SC on I-85 do being a little north of Atlanta is better. I can research these places but a weekend get away with the wife could be in order. Know of any sources near Savannah?

I think it's interesting that Freddie is in Long Island and is offering help for a place in Georgia.  That's neat how we're all so inter-connected but really don't know it. 

Here is another one for consideration. One man operation, but has some great lumber, affordable prices, and generous board foot calculations.

http://www.sawmillnc.com

Those are some of the best prices I have seen on the web. Any idea about shipping charges? Last time I ordered wood from the web, shipping cost was almost as much as my measly little order.

Those are some of the best prices I have seen on the web. Any idea about shipping charges? Last time I ordered wood from the web, shipping cost was almost as much as my measly little order.

Not sure about shipping, I don't live too far from this place. When I was picking up my lumber there was a couple from out of town there to check out his slab offering so I suspect shipping might be possible. Give the owner a call, Kyle, he is real friendly, he sensed my newbness took the time to help learn how to judge and select boards. Real happy with the experience.

• 2 months later...