Curtain Walls?

mcooley

I am setting up my shop in a basement and would like to control the dust more than I have in the past. Anyone use curtain walls? If so, any special brands out there? I'd like them to run on a track and possible secure to the floor in places. Estimated cost would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I know that one of the gentlemen in our turning club went to IKEA and picked up a round rail with a curtain that sort of looks like the ones you see around a hospital bed. He put it around his lathe to help reduce the spread of chips.

Sorry, don't have a cost for that but it might give you a direction to look.

I think he's talking about the retractable accordion type walls like in a banquette hall to partition on area from another. I've done some remodels that involved these curtain walls and I've only seen a upper track on these. If this is what your looking for go to a home center that the local contractors deal with, not Home Depot they usually have a counter for off the street customers but, they also have a counter for professional contractors go and talk to them about what you want to do they can steer you in the right direction.  

Tranzform.jpg

Thanks everyone!

My issue is the duct work on the ceiling which makes it near impossible to hang anything straight across. If anyone has any clever work arounds do let me know. Also, I want to make sure the dust stays away from the heating unit for the house which is down there as well. Between the ducts on the ceiling and the numerous posts supporting the house the space is a bit busy with intrusions.

Maybe I should have done a post on basement workshops?

With my small garage shop I have 2 walls that are nothing more than the cheap blue tarps you can get at Menards. I just stapled them to the ceiling and made sure they were long enough to reach the floor with a foot or so extra. I roll a 2x4 up in the left over on the floor. This keeps then from being sucked in when the heat is on and if I need to bring in large objects I can just un roll the bottom and pull them to the side. Nothing fancy but it works until I can take over the whole garage.

When I had my shop in the basement I had the same issue.  I used poly to enclose things as best I could & then set a 30" box fan, with a couple of really good quality furnace filters in front of it, in the wall adjoining the rest of the basement.  It would blow out, creating a negative pressure in the workshop & kept all of the dust out of the rest of the basement.