Water based stains for cabinets

ace_cobra

Hello, 

I am fairly new to staining with anything other than Minwax oil stains. I have used liquid, and gel, with great success on pine. My problem now I that I am building my own kitchen cabinets out of maple, and as expected, its not taking stain well. I have since gone and tried General Finishes stains, and they are still wiping off pretty cleanly, leaving a very minimal stain on the wood itself. I am now looking into dyes, and GF water based stain seems worth a shot. My question is that I have never worked with water based stains, and with my project being kitchen cabinets, are there any durability downfalls with WB dyes?

Thanks

Many people build the casework of kitchen cabinets with prefinished plywood to help save time and aggravation. Plus the finish on pre finished plywood is hard to beat.

The exterior of your cabinets (I am guessing face frames, doors, and drawers in your case) is typically your solid hardwood.

Maple can be tricky to stain, so make sure you do some test pieces first to help decide on your final finish schedule.

I have used general water based stains and have had good success with them. Keep in mind that dyes and stains are different products, and will look different in the final product.

As for durability, make sure you put a few layers of top coat on. Usually a good choice is endurovar by general, or their high performance poly. Both are very durable, all around good top coats.

Particleboard is really the expert in everything to do with kitchen cabinets. Hopefully he will reply to your thread.

http://generalfinishes.com/professional-products/color-matching-tinting-system#.UzI94a1dW1A

(click the link above, then click the "color chips" grey tab)

I suggest you step up to General Finishes RTM product line. Wonderful to use and great color options. You can spray or wipe.

I work lot with maple. Can you tell us what color your looking for. How about posting a picture of the desired color?

What are your test board sanded up too? Are you using a sealer for blotch control? Perhaps you may first have to dye the wood then a stain to bring in the color.   

-Ace-

Are you letting the stain soak in for a bit before you wipe it off ?  Gel stains and Dye stains penetrate the wood differently .  Gels don't usually go very deep into the fibers . Dyes travel deeper do to the thinness of them .  You'll need to top coat this with a clear finish of some kind .  GF makes a PreCat Urethane that's easy to spray and does a great job in the durability department .  

Hi, and thanks for all the replies. I am sanding 100grit with belt sander, then 100 and 150 with palm sander. I use the minwax pre stain conditioner to reduce blotching. I have left the stains on for a while, and tried various coats. 

I am looking for a medium brown colour, and once I learn how to post a picture ill have one up.

I've found using the blotch control (GF Natural ) on maple doesn't let the stain soak in enough . Plus I don't see any problems with maple getting blotchy on me . I can even it out pretty well better the gels and dyes or stains .  I mostly use GF stains and dyes , I find them to be really good and fool proof .  At my local Woodcraft they have a display system with all the different stains so you can blend the colors you want , that's real helpful in getting a match or just picking a color you like .