Grease spill on heart pine

Wildeyedfae

Help! I'm refinishing approximately 1200sq ft of 100 + year old long leaf pine flooring. One particular room had a grease spill/fire and allegedly the floor was burned and painted over. I started sanding it today and I've found no burn marks but about a 5' x 5' area of grease soaked boards. The rest of the floor is fine. The dilemma is what finish to use. I know anything poly (maybe sans oil based) won't ever adhere. What's my best bet? Would Waterlox work???

I've actually borrowed all I can to replace rotten boards in a bathroom. That was no easy task with the hand cut nails holding them down. Just want to know if I can successfully mix an oil based product with an "oil" already present. I'll give a shout out to the Waterlox folks too.

I use this stuff all the time.  Anything you put on it is going to turn it darker.  The best thing to do is some experimenting with samples.  Probably, you're not going to get it all out.  Even the same wood, but with different grain density, will react differently.  I don't think I've ever worked on two house Heart Pine floors that reacted exactly the same way.  Turn of 20th Century wood behaves differently for finishing than 18th or early and mid 19th.

You can see how I replaced some rotten Heart Pine floor board tops on my "woodworking" page.

Do the boards go the length of the room?  I had to have some 20 footers especially milled.  You can get it, even grain matching pretty closely, but it costs dearly.

That I can find! Thank you :-)

Just to be clear, the seal coat is not durable enough as a top coat for a floor, but it will seal off the grease and pretty much any top coat you choose should stick to it.  It does not add much color, but the parts you seal off with the seal coat will end up looking different than the rest of your floor, so look for a natural boundary in your room and seal off a larger area than just the greasey part (or just do the whole room).  Alternatively, seal off  the width and length of the boards that have grease on them... people will just think those few boards are a slightly different color. My guess is your floor is pretty rustic looking anyway, so variations in color will be more tolerable. 

I would not count on shellac sticking to grease. I would do everything in my power to clean as much as possible. Consider a lacquer thinner wash or some other solvent wipe before attempting the shellac. I have seen adhesion issue down the road with floors that heated in summer and had the grease "weep" for lack of a better term.

I'm sure the oil has soaked in deep or sanding would have removed it. You could try covering with absorbent paper and going over it with a warm iron to draw some out then wiping back with naptha but in the end you'll need to seal it with blonde shellac. If really noticeable then wipe down the whole floor with oil and seal with shellac.

The spill has been there for...ready for this? About 60 years. The owner painted over it. The whole area of it looks different anyway so I'm not concerned it looking different. In fact, the beauty of the wood has been quite enhanced by its protection over the years. If Carolina Blue paint (boy it was a bear to get off otherwise) stuck to it I don't see why a shellac won't. I don't think the owner was smart enough to choose a paint that was "compatible" if there really is such a thing! Do I have to use IMG codes to post pictures?