What do you consider "cold" ?

pghmyn

Depending on where you live, what do you consider to actually be cold? I am from Wisconsin, and our temperatures never really get too high, and our winter this year was brutal. But, I am walking to class today (quarter mile walk from parking to building), in just a hoodie and tshirt. The temperature outside is 16 degrees F. Only part of my body that was cold was my hand that was carrying my coffee. This is about the threshold for temperature I would wear a hoodie in. And then up to about 40 degrees is the max. After that, it is long sleeve shirt weather. Then 50 rolls around and I am regular shirt weather. When I went to Tennessee, some people were complaining about what a cold day it was when it was 50 degrees out. They had on a hoodie and a throwover. I had on a tshirt :/

Yeah under 40 is light jackets time, around zero is normal jackets time, only had on the heavy jacket a few times this winter (but I hibernated if it drops to below -20)

But that changes with time outside and/or wind, like if it's more then a 15min walk, i will step up to a bit warmer jacket.

below 20 starts to feel cold, but depends on the wind. conversely above 60 and i start to wear shorts. above 80 and i get hot and crabby. i prefer cold to hot. i can dress for cold.

below 20 starts to feel cold, but depends on the wind. conversely above 60 and i start to wear shorts. above 80 and i get hot and crabby. i prefer cold to hot. i can dress for cold.

That's what I always tell people who want it to be blistering hot outside. I can always add more layers if need be, but I can only take so many off.

It's all about the humidity. Humidity makes cold feel colder and hot feel hotter. Living in sunny southern California I am proud to say that anything below 60 is cold :)

I'm with you on that which is similar to daytime temperatures during Perth's winters. Nighttime temps can get as low as 0C or 32F and that's bloody cold lol

• Like 1

I like the cold and I love snow but this winter has been ridiculous.

Generally I start to feel cold around 20F and my ideal temperature is somewhere around 70F.

This winter in Maryland we had weeks hovering around 0F an almost constant snow cover from late December through February, and it just snowed again yesterday.

I am seriously looking forward to getting the pool opened up and having some cocktails in the sunshine.

Living in Kansas we get temps anywhere from  -16 winter to +120 summer. The problem for me is drastic change that can happen in one day. Earlier this month we had a day of 70 degrees with no wind and the next day we had a 35 MPH wind from the north and temps in the lower 30's!

When I got married, (March 8, 1969) I went to rehearsal dinner on Friday afternoon wearing a short sleeved shirt (80 degrees) and after rehearsal at the church, drove home in a whiteout blizzard!  Wedding day (Saturday evening) it was back up to the upper 60's and the snow was melted!

That is no joke!

Rog 

I'm with Dan...depends.  Temperature is only one of the factors.  Also your activity.  20*F when you're doing physical work outside is fine...almost nice.  But if you're just sitting there it's freezing.

I hate hot weather.  I'll start sweating if I cut a big fart.  Give me cloudy, cool, dry days around 60*F for the rest of my life, and I'd be a happy man.  70 is warm, 80 is hot, 90 is miserable, and anything over 100 is just total bull$#*! and I hate my life.  Plus St. Louis is notoriously muggy.  July and August SUCK around here.  I'm getting AC in the shop this year or I'm gonna miss two months of woodworking.

it depends on the time of year.  30degF in the fall is cold.  30degF now would feel like a beautiful spring day. :)  I like hot summers, and cold cold winters.

I usually break out my 'heavy' wool coat when it reaches single digits, but for as cold as it was this year (many days sub-zero) I didn't feel like I needed it.  Of course, it's all about dressing appropriately.  Our neighbors think we're crazy but we love being out in the snow and cold (well, maybe just the snow for the rest of my family).

The only 'metric' I really live by is when it's "sticky nose cold". That's when you breathe in through your nose and it's so cold that your nose is frozen...or, 'sticky'.  yech.

Here's a good read - there are a lot of these out there (generally ending with Californians ceasing to exist and people from northern climes buttoning their top shirt button) but I like how far down the thermometer this one goes

http://www.math.rutgers.edu/~lenci/jokes/weather

Depends on what I want to do. I hate the summer, I hate 95º days. I used to love the winter, but I suppose that was before I got into woodworking. For some reason this winter has just felt colder to me, even on days where it isn't any different than years past.

If I wanted to go walking in the snow, 8º like we got last month is fine to me. If I want to woodwork anything below 50º is cold. 

When I went to Tennessee, some people were complaining about what a cold day it was when it was 50 degrees out. They had on a hoodie and a throwover. I had on a tshirt :/

I live in West Tennessee, and usually go T-shirt only until the temp gets below 40 F, then add my Wood Whisperer hoodie. Unless it is wet and breezy, so that the wind chill is well below that. I think I wore an actual coat maybe 3 or 4 times all winter, and this year was below freezing more days than has happened in 30 years or so. I worked in my unheated, uninsulated garage shop many days when the temp was in the teens, wearing just a long sleeve shirt over my T. As long as the air is still, a lot can be tolerated. Of course when the temp hits 70, I'll be cleaning sweat stains offy work....

Depends on what I want to do. I hate the summer, I hate 95º days. I used to love the winter, but I suppose that was before I got into woodworking. For some reason this winter has just felt colder to me, even on days where it isn't any different than years past.

If I wanted to go walking in the snow, 8º like we got last month is fine to me. If I want to woodwork anything below 50º is cold.

this winter was rough. my garage is not heated. days it was below 0 farenheit the shop would be about 20. i did work those days but it was not fun. right now the shop is closer to 50 which feels damn good!

I'm a native Californian who has lived in Minnesota for almost 24 years.  I still distinctly remember the first time I said to myself, "It's over 20f, I can go out without gloves."  I also remember the first time I went out in shorts and a windbreaker when it was only 40f.  Those are almost routine for me now.

This is the first winter I saw temps lower than -20f (-38 twice!) or a longer string of days where it never got above 0 (62 straight hours).

I guess wind is the biggest factor for me but if it's not really windy, single digits is about where the chill really sets in.