Today Was A Good Day...

Boatworks Today

Ok, not woodworking related but still wanted to share :P!

Over the Winter I installed a beast of an air makeup system to help with fumes and overspray when painting boats in the shop (specifically when it's too cold to open the bay doors for ventilation which happens to be half of the year in Northern Wisconsin).  

It was quite the process getting the unit upstairs (weights over 1000lbs), getting the air flow correct to match the output of the exhaust fans and hoping like hell it works the way I designed it..

Well, today was the first trial of running everything together..  I'll be spraying the first boat in a couple days which means it's time to clean shop (blow off the walls, boats, tools; basically EVERYTHING! and mop floors).  Repeat as necessary..  Normally after doing this there would be a visible cloud of "stuff" hovering in the air for quite a while; hours in-fact without being able to run the exhaust fans.  

This new setup exchanges 100% of the air in the work bay every 5 minutes :-)  Oh, and it's heated!  Almost 5000 cfm of warm air coming in, and the same amount going out! It's as close as I can get to an actual spray booth without selling everything I own and possibly auctioning off a kidney.  The work bay is 30x52 with 18' side walls..

I can now have full ventilation even in the dead of Winter!  I'll only run it when needed but it will be a very healthy option of have :-)

Here's to keeping dust, fumes and glass out your lungs B)..

post-6031-0-93576600-1395873169_thumb.jp

• Like 2

I would hate to see your power bill. Sounds like it will stretch your season for spraying which should add to the profits if the energy costs aren't too brutal.

I got a few huge bills this winter, much colder than the last few years in Atlanta.

Surprisingly electric isn't bad; in the Summer it's only $50-$70 and Winter averages $200..  Propane on the other hand (especially this Winter with LP shortages) has been running an additional $150-300 depending on price per gallon..  This air unit will only run a couple hours a week, so hopefully not too bad :)