Used planer on cl

Dnorris1369

where ya located? I think i was looking at a similar model on CL recently. curious if that's the same, and what folks around here advise. 

Edit: nope. def not the same one. I just checked, and while it's an old delta as well, it's twice the price. d'oh!

I don't know much about jointers

Which is a pretty good reason to consider a new (or newer) one.  Old machines can be great, high-quality units that were built like tanks back when things were built right.  Or they can be a total nightmare that require either an entire overhaul or constant maintenance...both of which keep you from getting work done.  If you're really mechanical and are comfortable working on electrical/motors, etc, and you enjoy machine maintenance, then old machines are for you.  Some people make an entire side-hobby out of refurbing awesome old machines.  Cool.  But if you just wanna bring one home and start milling lumber, I'd advise you to buy something newer.  Jointers are the most finicky machines in the shop to get calibrated correctly, and, ironically, the most important machine to be calibrated DEAD on, IMO.  Older machines are harder to get set up correctly.

At the very least, before you buy something like this, plug it in and flatten a board.  If it can't do that then you're just buying yourself a bunch of work...and I'd probably offer about a hundred bucks for that.  That one looks like a 6"? with a short bed...you can buy a brand new one of those from Grizzly for about $450...

g0654-363b0937c180057abf56ddc9bcc5763e.j

That is an older model delta. The jointer is likely older then the base it is sitting on and it has been repainted at least once. You will likely need to replace the bearings on the cutterhead and you can count on having to sharpen and re-align the knives. Beyond that, it looks pretty complete and is a VERY solid machine. The magnetic starter on the side of the machine by itself goes for more then what they are asking. If it were me, I would buy it without a seconds hesitation. You can get lots of support for how to replace bearings from Owwm.org

Good luck!

They've got one of those on Ebay listed at .5 horsepower and a 3-phase motor.  

The bases aren't cast iron so they are very light weight.

...a 3 phase machine rated at .5 HP seems strange.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/ROCKWELL-DELTA-6-DELUXE-JOINTER-37-220-MADE-IN-U-S-A-/110528183904?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item19bbfe3e60