shop layout - whadayathink?

gvajcner

Hey all -

I'm looking for opinions or suggestions on my shop layout. I'm moving into a new place with an attached 3-car garage, and am turning 2 of the stalls into a shop, roughly 22x30ft with 12ft ceilings. I will put a little half-wall in-between the shop and the parking stall, to give a little more separation and wall space, also a place to put some outlets. I've come up with this setup - the garage doors are on the side of the room without a wall...

post-14676-0-03579000-1395940877_thumb.j 

There is a window by the workbench, and another on the back wall.

I mostly have made smaller stuff (coffee table, cutting boards, etc.), with plans for a few bigger things (bed, sofa table). I don't generally keep a lot of lumber and sheet material on hand, so sheet storage isn't a huge deal, although presently I do have a roll-around lumber cart that can accommodate that. The cabinet at the back, with the lathe on it, will be mobile as presently I only have a bench top lathe. 

Before I give my electrician the go ahead, can anyone point out any major suggestions for layout that might change where I stick some 220 outlets? There will be a 100A service for the garage, located by the bandsaw. I will have 220 outlets in the ceiling above the jointer and the TS, as well as 220 at the bandsaw and half-wall. Almost everything will be surface mount, so it should be easy to add more in the future if need be.

Your thoughts are appreciated! thanks in advance

-glen

• Like 1

A few things I would think about are

1. Take Bench, TS, Jointer, planer and flip 180 degrees.

1. it moves Planer and Jointer closer to DC (shorter runs of ductwork)

2. with back of TS to the garage door opening gives you more room to push long runs out the doorway  that is  needed only sometime.

2. More 110V outlets for TV, Radio and beer refrigerator. Just joking!  

3. What Power Tools may you add down the road? The power and room needed. (maybe you have, not in drawing) 

Drill Press, Full Size Lathe, drum sander, Big Disc Sander, etc 

Your plan looks great, have fun, i bet you can't wait

Good Luck

Your tablesaw, jointer and planer are set up exactly as I have mine, at least at the moment.  It's very convenient to have it like that, but the arrival of another machine may change that configuration in my shop...we shall see.

Those shop layout tools are fun and pretty good to help you brainstorm different options, but I found that once you start bringing tools in, things are drastically different in reality than they are on the computer.  What looks good now may seem totally off when you actually set it up.  My point being, I'd bet dollars to donuts what you have there doesn't end up as your final configuration...so have your electrician add more outlets than you think you'll need. :)

I agree with Doug's suggestion to shorten the DC runs to the planer and jointer.

As for sheet good storage - with 12' ceilings, you should have more than a few places where you could store full sheets vertically.  The first though that comes to mind is next to your DC, where you currently have the clamp rack.  If you move the thickness planer closer to the DC - maybe on the same wall as the BS - then you have the whole partition wall for your bench, cabinets, shelves, storage...and probably even an area for clamps.  Where would you do clue-ups and assembly?  That's where you want the clamps.  Or, even better, make a rolling cart for them and store it anywhere.

I'm gonna be contrary and say that the distance the planer and jointer are from the DC doesn't matter so much, especially if you have a big cyclone like the one that's pictured in the diagram.  Those two tools are the most accommodating to dust collection IMO, as they don't really produce that much dust...it's mostly bigger chips and the DC pulls them very nicely.  I have an underpowered DC with very long runs to my planer and jointer, and it works great on both machines.  The runs to my tablesaw and bandsaw are shorter and the DC performs drastically poorer on them.

That's a good point Eric.  I was actually more concerned about the hassle of longer runs, especially with garage doors in the way.  Looking at it again, a main line up and over the doors and then down the partition wall would work really well.  

Thanks for the input, everyone. I purposely have the infeed side of the TS facing the garage door, as I imagined taking 4x8 sheets of ply off my truck and going straight into the garage to the TS. Having said that, a 180 switch might open some possibilities for cabinets and storage on the half-wall. I'll play with it, Regardless, the power for that will be in the ceiling, so it won't change much. I guess the advantage of the planer by the 1/2 wall is that I can put the outlet for it there, but it would be just as easy to have it on the wall by the DC.

My strategy for DC was to use a right-handed clearvue, and have 1 main line go down the wall to the bandsaw, maybe with a drop for a floor sweep or something, and another main line y'd going over top the TS, jointer, etc... There would be 1 drop centred over the space between the TS and jointer, and 1 over to the planer.  I think that would minimize drops, bends, etc.

I would plan to do glue-ups either at the bench, or the out feed table which I'm designing to serve double duty as out feed and assembly, torsion box top. I think the clamps would work where they are, but it's a good suggestion to put sheets on that wall as well, since there is the space... hmmmmm.

In terms of growth, as per Doug's post, I have a small bench top drill press that goes on a mobile cart with replaceable tops. The only other "big tool" I could see adding is a drum sander, but then again, I wouldn't be the last guy to say "this is the last tool i'm going to have to buy", only to find something new down the road. It would be easy to put a full sized lathe in the corner by the bandsaw. I guess the one thing I didn't put in there was my router table (yet to be built). 

With the panel in the garage, and surface mount wiring, adding more outlets in the future will be easy, if need be, so I'm not super fussed about that. 

Thanks for your input, everyone. Much appreciated! This will be fun, as I'm presently in 2/3rds of a 1 small car garage space. Take care

-glen

I agree with Eric's thought process about the plainer and jointer as it relates to DC, I also agree with your thought process about the table saw direction. The one thing I do see is your lumber storage is far away from your milling machines, which could be hard on your back. Don't know how to fix that issue, without moving everything around, other than a full wall next to your plainer to store your lumber on instead of the half wall. This sugestion may be picky but switching the planer and jointer around may make your flow a bit easier. Don't know how you mill your stock but I joint one face, joint one edge, plane to thickness, then rip to width.  With your current layout I see some back and forth that I know would drive me nuts.  

Nice layout so far and good luck.

One thing to consider...    I find a long miter saw bench to be a waste of space for lots of finer work, especially if you have a good tablesaw. 

I find a jigsaw left near the lumber rack great for breaking up long boards, and the precision cuts are better from the tablesaw.  Cutting rough lumber to length can be problematic, as I learned when I warped a Chopmaster II when it got stuck in 8/4 maple.   As the large, bowed, heavy, piece was cut, it moved and grabbed the blade.  Since I'm going to joint, plane, and cut the stock precisely later, the jigsaw is foolproof.

I DO like mitersaws "on site", out of the shop, and I set up my portable stand when it makes sense.

• Like 1

Hey Barry - I do share your respect for the mitre saw after having a piece of hard maple be flung across my shop off my 12" dewalt. Yes yes - improper clamping, safety breach, etc... But respect as well. I'm not sold on the "dedicated" miter station, but it was an idea. I would more likely store it under the cabinets there and be able to whip it out with a little auxiliary bed/fence system that I can take in and out of some dowel holes on the countertop. I too prefer the jigsaw for the rough cuts.

Brian - as Doug said... it's pretty easy to just set a big square with your room size and start dropping tools in. I know Marc used sketchup when planning one of his shop moves, and at least according to his take on wood talk, the size of the tools in the 3d warehouse was pretty accurate.

weedsnager - i took a quick look at the app store and didn't find anything that would do layout like sketchup for a mac or pc would. on www.sketchup.com they don't have any iOS support, so I think you might be out of luck. The grizzly tool that TIODS mentioned uses flash, so as well, out of luck on an iPad. Sorry dude - don't know of anything to help

Consider work flow. The first thing is bringing in material so wood storage should be near the garage entrance. Next is jointing and planing, possibly re-sawing. Then cutting and assembly, and finally finishing.

The idea is to minimize going back and forth across the shop as you move from task to task.

IMO, it may be a hassle to run DC and power initially, but it pays off in the long run.

My two bits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just thinking out loud here.

1. Move dust collector near the end of half wall

2. Move bench to back wall near window

3. Move wood storage and chop saw to front left wall.

4. Maybe move around big tools at the front for better workflow. The table saw is best in the center like that so you are kinda limited.

-Jason