Creating "Toffee" Colour

ace_cobra

I have decided to go with a General Finishes water stain dye for my maple kitchen cabinets. Has anyone had success mixing colours to create a toffee colour, similar to Merillat. 

https://www.merillat.com/our-products/product-types/cabinetry/classic/spring-valley/maple/square/index.html#toffee

I have been trying different combinations of light and medium brown, but they still are looking brown instead of a mocha colour. Suggestions?

Did you try looking at the RTM color chips I provided to you in the link I posted the other day?

You can figure out how and what color to mix by taking a looking at that. Since your going so light in color. Your going to need a clear tint based to add the color(s) so your color remains light and thin.  

-Ace- 

• Like 1

Charles Neil is very familiar with GF-WB-Dyes. He's also very good about answering unsolicited questions -- drop him an eMail...  He's in the process of publishing a 'formulas' book -- you can pre-order it...

And BTW, check-out his on-line finishing course -- well worth it...

I did look at the RTM colours. Unfortunately the only supplier of GF products is Lee Valley, and they dont stock the professional series

If they can get the retail products. I'm pretty sure they can order the RTM. Just takes a phone call. I would think Lee Valley would do it for you if asked? 

-Ace-

Yes I think they would. Unsure if I would have to pay for it first, and that would be risky to get the right colour. I will call in the am to be sure

Hey man...I have a lot of product on my shelves from testing and trying. :) That's how you learn and yes is risky. Perhaps you should just go with a stock color and not play?

-Ace-

+++ on what Ace already said! I was just looking at the RTM system again, yesterday. You can get the individual colorants for about $17 per quart from wwhardware.com.  You wont need the whole system, maybe about 4-5 colors. Guessing on the toffee color, I would say 1 part black, 1 part white, 1 part bordeaux and 12 parts natural base. What comes out may need to be further tinted up to lighten the color, but that's my best guess. Hopefully others can throw their pick in as well ;-)   Post your findings here and your project as you go along!