water based over oil?

CJC5151

He guys I have a question for you....I'm doing finish samples for a client who I'm making a walnut dining table for...I'm normally a water based guy...I spray a high quality product from a company called aqua coat...but I really wanted to show depth in this piece so I used a product called watch teak oil...I used it because I have a buddy who uses it on walnut gun stocks and I loved the look...but it's a table so I wanted a top coat...After a week of drying I scuffed the sample with 320 and hit it with aqua coat table top clear coat...it looks spectacular. ..since then I've scuffed and hit it with 3 more coats...it looks so good, my question is what happens a year from now. Will I have an adhesion problem spraying water based over the oil or is it basically if the oils completely cured you can put anything on it...should I spray a thin binding layer of shellac between...thanks for your thoughts

I suggest you contact aqua coat. Have them respond to those concerns.

If this were General Finishes products. You can use seal-a-cell to pop the grain. Let it dry really good. Then topcoat over with a majority of their water based products with no problem.

I have a feeling you will be fine with aqua coat, but its always best to hear from the horses mouth. If it's a slow drying oil -- that can be trouble if sealed in too soon with your topcoat. 

-Ace-

Aqua coat said it should be fine if oil is cured...but wouldnt guarentee the finish because im not covering their product...but they also said to do a sample (which I did) and that I would know right away if there was a problem...and I dont see one yet

Ummmmmm...sometimes adhesion issues don't happen right away. HOWEVER, I have a good feeling they are telling you it's ok. But don't rush the oil curing. The longer you wait the better. Did they suggest an oil they support or suggest something they know works and has been tested under their water-based finishes? That may be a better option if you are worried. 

-Ace-