Six Board Chest

G S Haydon

Thanks Pug. I'm running on a Nikkon Coolpix which was a camera Mattias Wandell used for a while. There is no mic yet, if in the future I was to get more interest I might spend out on one. Thanks for the feedback, I will try to project my voice as well as I can in the meantime.

Spent a few hours last night watching some of his videos. He's good.

• Like 1

Thanks Pug. I'm running on a Nikkon Coolpix which was a camera Mattias Wandell used for a while. There is no mic yet, if in the future I was to get more interest I might spend out on one. Thanks for the feedback, I will try to project my voice as well as I can in the meantime.

I think we should set up a Kickstarter to get you some equipment, or you can just post your paypal info.

Just started using a shotgun mike for the school camera (canon camcorder, forget the number) and the microphone quality improved exponentially.  Haven't tested the lavelier mic yet, as I haven't done any close-up video interviews.  Cheap, and well worth the investment.  (Currently the shotgun is zip-tied to the tripod, as the canon doesn't have the correct accessory slot... but that's for a later fix.)

• 2 weeks later...

jHop, I took a look into the mic. Sadly my Nikkon Coolpix does not have an attachement (Ithink). However I've managed to use some basic editing stuff that should allow voice over on some future vids. If I'm still doing vids in 12 months or so I'll review the equipment.

Part 2!

Vid to follow, yt is taking an age to sort it's self out!

Some of you might of noticed how Hand Tool heavy this is. I only do that because I like it! I could of added a router and a table saw and the same results would of come about.

I bought a framing square! Cheap and it's square, not as sexy as the Schwarz style layout square but does the same job.

First job at hand was cutting the ends, front and back to finished lenght.

post-11619-0-56426000-1397600292_thumb.j

post-11619-0-21699000-1397600302_thumb.j

post-11619-0-90189400-1397600317_thumb.j

post-11619-0-56084100-1397600333_thumb.j

post-11619-0-84974900-1397600347_thumb.j

post-11619-0-17648800-1397600356_thumb.j

post-11619-0-72127900-1397600372_thumb.j

Then it was forming the rebates. I used the simple but effective Stanley 78 style plane. In actual fact it's a Faithfull tools copy of the Record 778. The nice thing on this is it has two guide bars.....yawn!

post-11619-0-50389200-1397600530_thumb.j

post-11619-0-21289100-1397600542_thumb.j

• Like 1

I noticed in the video that one of your glued up panels didn't look flat.  I'm assuming that this is because of the amount of time between videos?  

As I have a couple similar glue ups coming up, can you tell me how long they sat after they were milled and how they were stored?  

Loving the videos Graham!  Keep them coming.

Thanks TIODS :-). Any yes, those babies are bent! However because this is a nailed pine box they will straighten out once nailed together (I hope). The pine is only 3/4" thick and has little guts in it really so not too worried. 

It's a very valid point to raise though. Being used to working in a production environment the wood does not hang around for very long, however hobby stuff is different! It's amazing how little time we (I) get. If I was working on a bigger project I would stagger the timber prep to allow for this. I'll be sure to mention this in the blog article I write. I really appreciate you taking the time to watch TIODS and feeding back :-)

I just had a conversation with the tech and filming guys at the school.  They mentioned a couple different editing software: FinalCut and Adobe were two of the top recommendations they had.  (Neither are in my budget right now...although the school offers a discount on the monthly Adobe subscription.)  

I've got a couple of projects for the school up on my YouTube channel to show what I've done, and I'll probably leave them there.  The school paper site has linked to them (because I did the linking), so I'm in no rush to take them down.  The shortest time it took me to edit any of those videos was three hours... and the clip is under 2 minutes.  So I feel your pain, Graham.

One thing that was recently recommended to me by these guys was to back up the video (raw, not just edited) onto a RAID drive.  Preferably on 4 hard drives, and don't set them so they need all four drives to retrieve the data.  The most common recommendation was a "mirrored split pair," or two sets of twinned hard drives that would share the video between the two.  (Allowed for faster editing/finalizing, as the software would copy part A to one drive and part B to another - simultaneously.  It slowed down slightly because it was also simultaneously copying both parts into two other drives - hence the "twinned" moniker - in the same A/B manner.)  For the most part, though, they all stated that the editing is done "reel time," which means I need to film shorter subjects.

• Like 1

I just had a conversation with the tech and filming guys at the school.  They mentioned a couple different editing software: FinalCut and Adobe were two of the top recommendations they had.  (Neither are in my budget right now...although the school offers a discount on the monthly Adobe subscription.)  

I've got a couple of projects for the school up on my YouTube channel to show what I've done, and I'll probably leave them there.  The school paper site has linked to them (because I did the linking), so I'm in no rush to take them down.  The shortest time it took me to edit any of those videos was three hours... and the clip is under 2 minutes.  So I feel your pain, Graham.

One thing that was recently recommended to me by these guys was to back up the video (raw, not just edited) onto a RAID drive.  Preferably on 4 hard drives, and don't set them so they need all four drives to retrieve the data.  The most common recommendation was a "mirrored split pair," or two sets of twinned hard drives that would share the video between the two.  (Allowed for faster editing/finalizing, as the software would copy part A to one drive and part B to another - simultaneously.  It slowed down slightly because it was also simultaneously copying both parts into two other drives - hence the "twinned" moniker - in the same A/B manner.)  For the most part, though, they all stated that the editing is done "reel time," which means I need to film shorter subjects.

Unless you have worked with a lot of RAID configurations I would really not focus on setting up something like this. My advice for someone new to film editing, is to throw a SSD into your computer (this will have the operating system, and any programs that require a lot of stress on the computer), and then throw a couple terabyte drives in there (7200rpm at the least) to store your movies while you edit them. The SSD will handle just fine and the storage hard drive will read/write fast enough for a hobbiest editor.

I'm not saying a RAID is needed.  I'm just passing along a tip from some pros (or semi-pros) I've met.  Personally, I don't see a need for RAID until you've reached a couple of videos.  I'm looking into external storage for the school paper, but only because we haven't established a policy about raw or unedited video yet.  I've maxed out a couple of thumb drives on just a couple of video shoots, but those have been about an hour long video each that get edited down to a couple of minutes.

One last piece of advice, and then I'll let the people who know what they are doing correct and override me: establish now what you are going to do with your video library.  Not just the edited stuff - figure out if you are keeping the rest, or trashing it.  If you don't intend to keep snippets that don't work, you drastically reduce the volume of space you need in the first place.  Because the paper hasn't decided what the policy is yet, I'm keeping everything until someone makes a decision.  (Partially, it's the "hoard until it forces a decision," and partially it's because I genuinely don't know if I need it for later or not.)  But if you can make that decision now, then all you need to worry about is the plan for short term memory spacings.  (Example: how much space do you need just for the next video, not for the whole library.)

Thanks Guys,

I would like to say I undestood it but I didn't :-). However I did understand BACK UP!. Currently this is done on my camera Memory Card and there is still quite a bit of space. Is that a dumb thing to do?

I'm using Windows Movie Maker which has helped upload time a bunch!

Most of what I learn has to be intuative as computers don't come easy.

Thanks Guys,

I would like to say I undestood it but I didn't :-). However I did understand BACK UP!. Currently this is done on my camera Memory Card and there is still quite a bit of space. Is that a dumb thing to do?

I'm using Windows Movie Maker which has helped upload time a bunch!

Most of what I learn has to be intuative as computers don't come easy.

You should really backup your videos somewhere else. Memory cards are great but definitely look for other options. If you have a desktop or want to build a computer...here is a 3TB 7200 hard drive for just about $100 (probably can be found on Amazon UK for cheaper). This will hold a ton of video and you can keep as much as you would like. 

As for Windows Movie Maker, if you are comfortable with it and it works for you....thats awesome. I know a lot of movie production people scoff at it, but for a beginner it works just fine. You will find a need for different options in the future and will probably look for other editing options.

Edit: Here is the link for amazon UK LINK     comes out a bit higher price after the pounds to us dollar conversion..

• Like 1

Good info

Good info and thanks for sharing! 3 hours of editing!!! Not gonna happen here... Please tell me you have picked up some tricks to reduce your editing time :-)  Do you have a link to your youtube channel? TY