Six Board Chest

G S Haydon

My usual process for filming is to record on the camera(s), then get to the office as soon as possible.  Once I'm there, I transfer it to the computer.  Since it's a semi-private computer (In the paper office so a limited number of people can access it, but it's still a school computer and subject to the school's limitations on computers), I transfer it to a USB drive as soon as possible.

A thumb drive is a fine location to store documents or files for a short period of time.  In the end, though, you really should transfer it to a hard drive somewhere for permanent (or even just long-term) storage.  (Having to do with dedicated power to maintain the file integrity, or so I'm told.)  

It doesn't ruin the file to keep it on the camera, but clearing it off the camera allows for you to film more.  We upgraded the memory cards for the one camcorder to a 16G memory card, and it easily holds over an hour.  (Battery, however, is another story.)  Since the camera can be signed out by any of the paper staff to cover an article, it's become our office policy to transfer the files off the camera as soon as possible for courtesy's sake.  Since you aren't loaning your camera out, the urgency of this is much lower.

And I won't hijack this thread any more by posting links to any video I did within the thread.  If you find what you have is working for you, don't change it!  If you are keeping an eye towards the future, be aware there are options.

Hello! I have been reliably informed that you dear Americans understand what a One-Eyed is, therefore we can proceed happily knowing I'm a self confessed D1(k :D.

Anyhow, some progress! Vid

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkL9WPc_PEw

This time it's been dado (still shudder calling it a dado, housing joint), notching and cutting the ends to shape. All very primitive stuff but effective nevertheless.

post-11619-0-49228200-1398896290_thumb.j

Prepping for the dado

post-11619-0-89302800-1398896325_thumb.j

Chiseling some waste

post-11619-0-76432700-1398896357_thumb.j

Routing with the "Grannies Tooth"

post-11619-0-19460200-1398896427_thumb.j

Refining the notches.

I have some more photos but the Camera is at work! Comments good and bad very welcome :-)

• 1 month later...

Just a quick update. There has been progress but life has been darn busy!

post-11619-0-08319700-1402525696_thumb.j

post-11619-0-78758300-1402525751_thumb.j

There has been a state of flux with the woodworking, not in a way where I have lost interest, just finding a rabbit hole to dissapear into. I have found more enjoyment in keeping things very very simple on the tool side of things. I bought and tried quite a bit of stuff to the point where I feel quite well informed on the pros and cons of various choices that woodworkers make. I am currently having a heavy tool cull and stripping things right back, once the process is complete I'll share the tools that are left. The video for part four will be along very soon (understand that my soon is perhaps days > perhaps weeks :))

On another note I stumbled across this painting on the tinterweb

T03668_9.jpg

Now I hate the thought of dressing up, an invite to a fancy dress party makes me tremble, so I don't want to look like these dudes but I felt better about myself after seeing it. Dude on the right is cutting on trestles, I do that B) and always have. I find it easier (even easier on a table saw) than ripping in a vice or at the bench. I also felt envy. I would love to grab a day at my bench, tool chest open, working on a project.

More soon ;)

I don't have a problem selling off tools...as long as I get a good deal when I buy them from someone.  since the tool budget disappeared faster than I wanted this year, I really need a *GOOD* deal to excite me.

• 4 weeks later...

Here we go then, photos and notes.

All inside edges cleaned up

post-11619-0-59110800-1405023095_thumb.j

post-11619-0-93618700-1405023493_thumb.j

I have to 'fess up here. I've always sniggered and the "meringue whisk" but I've started to like 'em. I pilot drilled the wood as I didn't want to risk splitting. Note the use of the arm as a cheeky holdfast.

post-11619-0-89126300-1405023289_thumb.j

I tried the whole thing up dry and all was well so I nailed it together. I used a cramp once. I couldn't see the point of using them really. A combination of hands and the action of the nails sorted stuff out. There was a bit of twist in the base but the housings (dado to you :)  ) sorted that out. Then it was cleaning up the outside of the chest.

post-11619-0-08277500-1405023519_thumb.j

post-11619-0-54107800-1405023550_thumb.j

Next job is making the shaped plinth, time for moulding planes  :)

I just watched the series of videos here and enjoyed them quite a bit.  Though, it seems that we lost your speaking audio on the 4th vid.  The intro music carries on for a while then just goes to silence for the rest.  Aside from the little tech mishap your videos have been great.  I appreciate the pace and level of detail you go into describing things.  Plus, the British accent and vocabulary is always fun :)

• Like 1