First cut at new shop tool layout

estesbubba

My 30x40' pole barn is scheduled to be put up in late June. Of course I would like it done tomorrow but 3 months away is actually good for planning. I've starting playing around with my new shop layout in Sketchup and looking for some feedback. Even though I'm going from 440 sq/ft to 1200 sq/ft I still want to be as efficient as possible for the future as everyone knows you never have too many tools. 

My Harbor Freight duct collector has done it's job but I'm looking at a Clear Vue CV1800 for my new shop. Looking at the overhead view, the upper right is a 4' wide lumber rack with the cyclone to the left of it. The overhead door will allow for easy access from truck to rack. Just inside the overhead door is my mobile Ultimate Tool Stand where I can break down rough lumber with a circular saw. The UTS will also be a central location to stack boards for the jointer and planer which will give an efficient workflow.

The jointer, planer, and drum sander will be able to handle 8' boards on the infeed side. They are all on mobile bases so handling longer boards will be possible. The table saw can handle 10' long boards on the outfeed side. I think the bandsaw fits nicely against a wall and that wall will also have a router table. 

Here are some pictures of my first cut. I'm trying to keep my major tools in 1/2 of my shop - I don't know if this is a good idea or not. 

post-8178-0-74469100-1396155657_thumb.pnpost-8178-0-21865600-1396155654_thumb.pnpost-8178-0-05533600-1396155656_thumb.pn

too condense in my opinion. I have a 25 x 30 shop and just moved in about 6 months ago. I am still trying to organize and get things where they need to be. You have all that room now, why not use it. as you get tools rearrange. Or if you are planning on doing to duct work right away then that is a different story. or you could do generalized runs with the duct work and try to plan the best you can. After all, planning is what us woodworkers do.

The right half is 20x30 which is actually bigger than my existing shop. The left side will have heat (pellet stove?), tool & wall cabinets, plus some other smaller machines so it won't be empty like it looks. I think the table saw and jointer make sense together because the ducting will run to the floor. The ducting for the planer and drum sander will stop above the machines. I think the UTS makes the area look cluttered but it's on casters and can be moved anywhere. It is great for breaking down lumber since I can take the center section out. 

I'm sure even if I get what I think is the perfect layout in Sketchup, once I get the tools in the shop things will probably change. 

Can't tell you how jealous I am of your future new digs, Mike.

I have about as much space as you have right now...appx 400.  I think if I had only 50% more I could be totally happy with that...but if I were gonna jump up to 1200, I'd be thinking about a spray booth and a room for a compressor and the DC.  Have you considered walling off a couple small rooms on one end of the building?  I know you're a spraying man, and it's always cool to have the DC in a separate room to keep the noise and dust down.  Even if you used up a third of your total space for those rooms, you'd still be doubling your shop size for everything else from what you have now.  Easier to do it when it's being built than to add it later. :)

And I'll kind of disagree with Pbmaster...I like certain groupings of tools to be close together.  Obviously you need room to work, but beyond that you're just doing more walking.  I have my TS, planer and jointer clustered pretty close (not initially by choice but because that was the only logical way to place them) but it turns out I really like it that way...one two three, boom boom boom, milling is all right there with minimal walking to and fro.  Also have my SCMS and bandsaw right on the other side of the TS.

If I had unlimited space and I could organize any way I wanted, I'd cluster a 14" bandsaw, OSS and router table together because I use those three mostly for curves.  And then I'd have another corner of the shop dedicated to my bench and my hand tools.

That's basically how I have it now, but again, only because I'm so packed into my space...there's really no danger of doing too much walking in a two car garage shop. <_<

• Like 1

Wonderful Mike! Is that lumber rack also going to have a pocket for ply vertically? With a shop of that size, why not keep some sheet good around! As for ducting, as someone else mentioned you can do a central duct and tap off of it and change as you need to, but you mentioned on the floor? If you have the option of building from ground up, you may as well include some options for floor mounted dc and electrical. Why limit yourself to just an overhead run? As Eric mentioned, walling off at least some small compartments would be beneficial not just because of noise reduction, but you also gain another wall to mount storage to! Sometimes wide open is not good ;-) Keep us up to date on the build when the time comes!!

Hey Mike - looks good, and lucky you for getting such a huge space. I'm in the process of setting up shop as well, so i've been on the "overthinking" train. My only "concern" with the layout is the out feed from your table saw. You talk about being able to get 10' boards to your bandsaw - what happens if you have to rip that 10' board? I've set up my shop with the infeed coming in from the garage door, and the out feed going deep into the shop, for maximal length, should the need arise. I'm not sure what kind of things you would make that you would need to rip a 10' board, but it's something to consider. Although, with all that space and mobile bases, you might only be a 90-degree turn away from handling that rare long board. 

Just a thought. Looks great - i'm sure you'll love it.

And I'd second eric's thought on the separate rooms, DC in its own closet, etc... Worthwhile suggestion - just wish I had the room to implement that!

@Eric - I spoke to ClearVue about getting a unit w/o a filter and just venting it outside since it's just prairie behind the shop. The lady said that is fine but to keep in mind if you heat your shop that it will be pulling the warm air outside. I only run the DC when needed so who knows if it would pull a lot of warm air outside. Enclosing it in a separate room is another option. 

How big does a finish room need to be? I would love to do that but wonder if it would take up too much space? 

@chopnhack - I was going to store sheet goods on the other side of the overhead door. I don't know about running ducting in the floor b/c I'm sure I will change things. Electrical might be good.

@gvajcner - That layout will allow me to rip up to 10' boards on the table saw. All other machines will handle 8' board but they can be moved if needed (rare occasion). 

Keep the feedback coming - it helps pass the time waiting...

No idea about the finish room, but I can tell you that I direct exhaust my DC outside and it doesn't have a huge impact on the temp unless I'm running it for extended periods.  A bigger shop is going to see even less effect, and keep in mind the ClearVue lady wants to sell you a filter. ;)  Of course if you're running a 5HP unit as opposed to my 2HP, it will empty a shop's air out faster.

We were talking about this very thing in another recent thread, and my opinion is that once the shop gets up to a certain temperature, even if you open up all the windows and doors and let ALL the conditioned air out, as soon as you close everything back up, the space gets back to the desired temp very quickly because of all the ambient heat (or cool) coming off of all the contents of the building.  I'm talking five minutes it takes for my shop to warm back up.  No time.

• 6 months later...

Well after getting the big tools in my shop I played around with several layouts and think my original was pretty close. With this layout all the tools can handle 9+' boards and are all on mobile bases if they need to be temporarily moved for bigger ones. The table saw has a lot of room to the left and for an outfeed table. I had to keep in mind ducting for my cyclone to avoid light strips and also keep runs as straight as possible. 

The overhead heater in the SW corner will point between the overhead door and NE corner. What do you think of my overhead air filter placement? I want to get the best filtration but also use it to help circular the heat CCW. Would moving it just to the left of the bandsaw be better?

The updated layout:

post-8178-0-89862000-1412601484_thumb.pn

Pictures of the tools in the shop:

IMG_0185.JPG

IMG_0186.JPG

IMG_0187.JPG

IMG_0188.JPG

IMG_0189.JPG

Even with short time runs on the dust collector you may still pull a lot of warm air out of the shop in the winter. 1000 cfm is a 10 foot cube of air every minute. It would be great if you could enclose it in a separate room within the structure. Just another couple of boards of OSB.

Aside from that it is looking wonderful at the moment Mike. You could build an airplane in there.