Built a DC adapter for my planer

chopnhack

• 4 weeks later...

Drilled two holes in the shroud that sticks out the back, and fastened this attachment from my shop vac:

m_NVzikPJTGm-p_eQOcDWcQ.jpg

It is just about the same width as the planer, and gets nearly every single shaving. I could pick the shavings the didn't get sucked up off the ground with my hand in 1-2 minutes, that's how well it worked.

Really surprising how well "dust collection" on these lunch box units can work!

A very worthwhile project.  I got a fitting for my Delta planer (which was a feat in itself cause Delta parts are just not available in Canada) & it does an excellent job of collecting the shavings even with just a shop vac connected.  Makes such a difference at clean up time.

I am speaking from lack of expierence here, but do some planers not come some sort of shoot or dc like this? My Ridgid planner has one as well as another Dewalt I saw.

Some do and most of the time they work quite well as others have mentioned. I bought my unit second hand and when I searched for the attachment it was no longer being sold.

I'm so going to have to build something like this. My benchtop planer's DC is terrible. It clogs so easily I spend more time removing the DC shroud than I do planing, so I ended up taking it off and letting the chips fly.

I have two concerns - it leaves the cutter exposed, and of course the chips fly around my shop and it's a pain to clean up. I wear a respirator when I'm working anyway, but it's a mess I don't want to waste time cleaning up!

I think the problem is that the angle of the chute to the blades is too high - it directs the chips 70 degrees to the blade. I think I need a combination of a stronger DC and a lower angle shroud will solve my problem.

I'm so going to have to build something like this. My benchtop planer's DC is terrible. It clogs so easily I spend more time removing the DC shroud than I do planing, so I ended up taking it off and letting the chips fly.

I have two concerns - it leaves the cutter exposed, and of course the chips fly around my shop and it's a pain to clean up. I wear a respirator when I'm working anyway, but it's a mess I don't want to waste time cleaning up!

I think the problem is that the angle of the chute to the blades is too high - it directs the chips 70 degrees to the blade. I think I need a combination of a stronger DC and a lower angle shroud will solve my problem.

Sounds like you just don't have enough airflow to clear the shavings fast enough. What DC are you using?

• Like 1

Currently only a shop vac/thien separator combo which has ok suction, but you're probably right and not enough to clear the chips. There isn't an option to use DC on my jointer so I don't know how well it works with that.

I'm planning an upgrade to my DC in the relatively near future, but that's a way away yet. In the meantime I'll keep my broom handy, and my fingers away from the back of the planer!

• Like 1

Currently only a shop vac/thien separator combo which has ok suction, but you're probably right and not enough to clear the chips. There isn't an option to use DC on my jointer so I don't know how well it works with that.

I'm planning an upgrade to my DC in the relatively near future, but that's a way away yet. In the meantime I'll keep my broom handy, and my fingers away from the back of the planer!

Yep! Keep those fingers safe!! The shop vac has high suction but low airflow whereas the dc has high airflow but lower suction - believe it or not you need the high airflow to move the dust and chips effectively - seems counter intuitive, but its true.

A standard HVAC boot: 2-1/2 x 12 x 6" elbow fit perfectly in my Grizzly molder/planer. Our portable DC is a 3hp four bagger with a 6" flex hose.  It gets hooked directly to this machine when we run it.  It gets absolutely everything.  If a piece gets thrown out the front, it floats in the air for a split second, and gets sucked back in.

post-14184-0-47256100-1398600054_thumb.j