Domino 500q initial impressions - update 3

rodger.

I use those Velcro straps to attach the hose to the power cord. The smaller hose is much more flexible. I used my small Fein vac with my domino for years.

Those Bessey self adjusting toggle clamps are very useful when you have a batch of mortices to cut. I made a fence out of 3/4" plywood scraps and screwed it to a larger piece as a baseplate. I use 1 1/4" pocket hole screws to screw the clamps down . I either screw or clamp the baseplate to my assembly table. I will try to take some pictures tomorrow. You just slap the clamps down and then you have both hands free to handle the machine.

• Like 1

+1 on the Paul-Marcel vids.

I'm also using my shop-vac with an attachment that happened to fit their metric dust port (just too cheap for the festool hose I guess).  Works great, though a bit rigid.  I saved all the attachments from the past 5 (broken) household vacuum cleaners, which all have funky sizes.  Never know when one will come in handy.

I was lucky in that mine was fine tuned out of the box - no adjustment necessary. 

Have fun with it!

I took a couple of pictures today .

post-6363-0-50585400-1396393973_thumb.jp

This jig holds parts vertically. I like to do the cuts where you plunge into the face of the board with the part vertical. Gravity holds the fence or Domiplate to the top edge of the board and you can see to line up with a mark easier. I usually just clamp the vertical jig in my vise.

post-6363-0-81593200-1396393986_thumb.jp

Having both hands free to line up the machine and cut each mortice is so much easier with these. So easy to re-arrange the clamp positions with a few 1 1/4" square drive pocket screws.

• Like 1

I took a couple of pictures today .

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

This jig holds parts vertically. I like to do the cuts where you plunge into the face of the board with the part vertical. Gravity holds the fence or Domiplate to the top edge of the board and you can see to line up with a mark easier. I usually just clamp the vertical jig in my vise.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Having both hands free to line up the machine and cut each mortice is so much easier with these. So easy to re-arrange the clamp positions with a few 1 1/4" square drive pocket screws.

Thanks! Do you plunge the domino using the base at all, using the bench as reference surface? Kind of like using a biscuit joiner?

Yes! You can use the base as a reference just like you do with a biscuit machine. Any place you can clamp a straightedge you can place a domino accurately.

Actually that's kind of the idea behind the Domiplate. It has 2 sides, one for 3/4" material and one for 1/2" .

I use a lot of 5/8 Baltic ply and by adding a 1/16" thick shim it centers the cut on the ply .

Yes! You can use the base as a reference just like you do with a biscuit machine. Any place you can clamp a straightedge you can place a domino accurately.

Actually that's kind of the idea behind the Domiplate. It has 2 sides, one for 3/4" material and one for 1/2" .

I use a lot of 5/8 Baltic ply and by adding a 1/16" thick shim it centers the cut on the ply .

I have to look into a domiplate. Then tool came with a support bracket that is L shaped. Is this similar to a domiplate?

• 3 weeks later...

Nice review, and very cool jig, Pug.  Those clamps look idea for lining up your pencil lines.

You and I are in the same boat with brand new Domino 500's.  My initial impression:   On a build where I've been insanely meticulous, it's been perfect.

Surprisingly, one another smaller chair build, where I've really just been "eyeballing it"....it's still been pretty darn close to perfect. 

How have you been doing with your top-down plunge cuts (middle of a board, no fence).  I'm having a tough time stabilizing the vibration of the machine...not sure if there's an ideal place to grab it.  Plus, when I press down on the on button, I run the risk of plunging!

Nice review, and very cool jig, Pug. Those clamps look idea for lining up your pencil lines.

You and I are in the same boat with brand new Domino 500's. My initial impression: On a build where I've been insanely meticulous, it's been perfect.

Surprisingly, one another smaller chair build, where I've really just been "eyeballing it"....it's still been pretty darn close to perfect.

How have you been doing with your top-down plunge cuts (middle of a board, no fence). I'm having a tough time stabilizing the vibration of the machine...not sure if there's an ideal place to grab it. Plus, when I press down on the on button, I run the risk of plunging!

Stay tuned! That will be in the next update!

I'm afraid I can't take credit for the jig, those are Steve's photos and builds.