truth in advertising - big band saw for sale on CL

nod

A bandsaw for sale. Aptly advertised as "big band saw". i'm sure big is relative, but most used i see on CL are benchtop, or at most 14"

this is about 2 hours from me. But only about a half hour from my folks. Been looking at used band saws and seeing some crazy prices all over the place. Some sellers think they're going to get retail for their 5-15 year old saws. anways, i digress. The price for this looks about similar for some 14" models which is why i was curious if anyone can guess make/model? I hear some of yous talk bigger is better. is this one of those cases?

big band saw 

Looks bigger than my 14" Delta and I have a height kit on it . Looks older my guess is 16 - 18" , price is reasonable for that size machine.

I emailed the seller for shiggles asking if there is any more info or detailed pics. it's almost as tall as that door. 

I would jump on something like that. That thing might not be there much longer.

That being said, come prepared, bring tools with you as you will likely need to take it apart to move it unless you have a trailer and the seller has some kind of shop crane/fork lift.

it might run on 3 phase power, if you don't have 3 phase you will either need to get a converter or switch the motor.  But for the price might still be worth it. 

oh my. Slight tailspin in conversation there.   :rolleyes:

Woodsap, good to note. My electrician is coming out this week to plan out some garage upgrades. I don't have 3ph but will be discussing with him just incase. I see (what I think) are some solid deals on 3Ph machines, but they go unsold because most guys can't run them. I honestly don't know the difference, other than it's mostly for commercial purposes. 

oh my. Slight tailspin in conversation there.   :rolleyes:

Woodsap, good to note. My electrician is coming out this week to plan out some garage upgrades. I don't have 3ph but will be discussing with him just incase. I see (what I think) are some solid deals on 3Ph machines, but they go unsold because most guys can't run them. I honestly don't know the difference, other than it's mostly for commercial purposes. 

its more an issue for your utility company, they might not offer 3 phase power to residential customers.  Your electrician might know, but you might also have to get in touch with your town or utility company. 

If it is 3 phase replace the motor or add a VFD.  With a VFD you can input 220v single phase and generate 220v 3 phase.  Plus you get variable speed, soft start, electronic braking and other options.

Dan

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a VFD? 

ahh, I see. I had some guesses along these lines, but frankly did't really have a clue. thanks. Is this what I see Matthias playing with in some of his vids? If so, looks pretty damn cool. I'm no electrician. fall off a ladder once and you tend to steer clear of opportunities to light yourself up. 

must have sold quick. Never got a reply and the ad has been taken down. My electrician buddy came over this evening. Steered me away from even thinking about 3ph machines, but said it should be no problem to run 220 out to the garage. sweeeeeeett!

My understanding is that those rotary converters are roughly $2,000 dollars installed with unit and labor.  

Once installed you can run any 3 phase machine on it and not lose any horsepower.

If you buy a few 3 phase machine it'll pay for itself.  They come up for sale all the time and are a little cheaper.

Pardon my ignorance, but what's a VFD? 

3 phase motors are varied in speed by adjusting the cycles of hertz.  You've seen on labels 110v 60Hz. Regular AC current in your house changes polarity or basically reverses the direction it runs in, 60 times per second. For a tool, you can vary the speed of it by adding one of two kinds of phase convertors  - rotary or static.  It takes single phase electricity (same as how your house is wired) and converts it into 3 phase power.  The other way to slow a 3 phase motor down is to add a Variable Frequency Drive - VFD. It has 220V AC input and it changes the hertz to slow the motor down. If you have a 3200rpm motor hooked up to a VFD and turn it down to 30 Hz, it will run at 1600 rpm or there abouts.  I have one I hooked up to an old wood lathe and it handles up to 2HP and it cost me about $350 with a discount through Grainger. Since a band saw runs flat out I'd just buy a new motor single phase AC in a 2 or 3 HP.  You're a lot better off price wise. I spent WAY too much money rebuilding a deceased, woodworking, father-in-law's wood lathe after a shop fire that made the ma-in-law dance (literally @ 80 years old) upon seeing it but that was an expensive dance. Wow, could have had a Jet!