Restore or display?

bikefoolery

Just bought my first hand plane from an antique store.  I think it's a Wards Master No 4. It may look a little rusty in spots, but I think I can it can be restored for regular use.  Before I take my first trip down restoration lane, I'd like to know I'm not screwing up a collectible.  So, should I restore it for use, or just make it a display piece?

13527365223_bfc42a69ed.jpg

13527262415_a98cc8b621.jpg

13527597894_d436931216.jpg

13527279195_09269ccfd3.jpg

13527292925_e2a4228fcb.jpg

It's a pretty functional device.  Forgive my lack of correct technical terms.  The lateral blade adjustment lever works, and so does the knob that adjusts the blade forward and backward also works.  The tool still makes shavings.  From what i've read it's very much like the Stanley No 4.

opinions?

Thanks,

-josh

P.S. Yes, I realize this may start a long decent into hand tools :)

It's not a collectors item to the best of my knowledge. It could be made to work fine, a new blade would as Tom says would save you a bunch of time.

For as cheap as blades are, compared to completely restoring that one, I would buy a new blade. Probably far superior cut quality, too.

Wards are not usually collectable planes and this one is rough enough that it is definitely not a collectable. Definitely go and restore it, it will make a fine user. Planes are super easy to restore compared with many other tools and fairly addicting. There are lots of videos and guides online for how to restore them. Good luck!

Thanks for the guidance. I didn't presume it was collectible but it's good to check.

I took a part the blade and chip breaker. There's not much rust by the sharp end. I'll give it a shot to sharpen it up, but what are options for replacement blades?

Just measure the existing one and find one in my price range?

Is putting a Hock blade in like putting fancy wheels on a junker car?

Do you usually replace the blade and chip breaker together?

thanks,

-josh

• 3 weeks later...

I'm evolving.  Hand planing is a FUN!

Perfomed a 'mild' restoration: part soak in evaporust, sanded and refinished the knob and handle, kinda lapped the sole flat (not perfect), and sharpened the blade to 500 grit using the scary sharp method.  It's still pitted in the non-essential parts, but the sole and blade are good.  Shavings are light and thin on used oak wine flat staves.  Pine and poplar are whispy light too.  The grain gets so smooth.  Very happy with it as a starter plane.  Now I'm on the hunt for a few more. :)

13883331866_766b1057af.jpg

Cheers,

-josh

• Like 1