Butcher Block Counter

tim0625

Take a look at the photos of the butcher block counter.  Stains and a couple scorched marks from what looks like hot pots. 

Remedy....I'm thinking sand with a orbital 220G and a light coat of what? Mineral Oil? Satin Poly?  It's pretty natural now.

post-2896-0-44280900-1396379178_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-04459300-1396379209_thumb.jp

post-2896-0-39540100-1396379236_thumb.jp

I used 5 coats of generals salad bowl finish. The stuff is incredible. I did a test before I used it, and it had no issues with any food stain(coffee, red wine, etc).

My test board was a piece of white maple, with 4 coats of salad bowl finish. No issues at all. For good measure, I added an extra coat to my countertop.

Do a search for "monster countertop" and you can see how the finish looks. I would def use it again.

The countertop has been in for a while, I'm thinking like 8 months. No issues with the finish,but I do have a few scratches (grrrrrrr.....). To repair the scratches I will just apply a light coat of finish and wet sand, and then maybe do a light sand of the whole thing. Finally I'll apply a thin top coat.

Pug you say you used 5 coats salad bowl finish, did you thin it out? Did you get a very thick layer of finish? 

I use GF salad bowl finish on cutting boards only 2 coats, I do put it on heavy, a big pool of finish, rub it all over the top and wipe off after 10-15 mins. I get a medium / thin finish.

Pug you say you used 5 coats salad bowl finish, did you thin it out? Did you get a very thick layer of finish?

I use GF salad bowl finish on cutting boards only 2 coats, I do put it on heavy, a big pool of finish, rub it all over the top and wipe off after 10-15 mins. I get a medium / thin finish.

I brushed on the first coat, and wiped it off just like a wiping varnish. Then I used a rag for the second coat, and wet sanded with 400 grit sandpaper and wiped off as well. The final three coats were thin coats, and I did not wipe them off. I used full strength finish the whole time.

If I would have had my HVLP system at the time, I may have sprayed endurovar from general. That stuff is incredible too.