Thoughts on this finish?

Heavydc2

lol, I realized after the fact that I should have said more,  I am new to this :)

Its Cherry, Reclaimed Redwood, and Oak, the top right of the picture has a cut off that I put some of the walnut oil/beeswax/turpentine that I put on to test.

Its going to end up being the most time consuming raised dog bowl platform ever created, the way I see it I am new to this hobby and if I am going to make some cool stuff I need practice.

• 1 month later...

So I am finally getting close to finishing, I have tested a little on the underside, one oil/wax, one wiping varnish, one tru oil and one oil/wax with varnish over the top. Here are the results, any thoughts or suggestions

All 4

Posted Image

Tru oil

Posted Image

Oil/wax

Posted Image

Oil wax varnish

Posted Image

Varnish

Posted Image

It may be a little expensive for what you're making but an epoxy glass finish would work great on this and be a real learning experience for a later project. Boat builders use epoxy resin with fiberglass matt sanded flat and then topcoated with varnish. Here is a link to the process if you're interested. Using the polyester film works incredibly well by the way.

• 1 month later...