Finishing cabinets

If you have an entire kitchen's worth of cabinets to finish, do yourself a favor and spray them.  From what I hear, this (very inexpensive) HVLP system from Rockler will give you acceptable results...and you'll probably be able to finish your project before it burns up and dies on you...

http://www.rockler.com/hvlp-spray-system

Then you can spray water-based without worrying about losing your dye, or you can spray whatever else you might decide on.  Either way, brushing three or more coats on a whole kitchen of cabinets...lots of work and most likely a mediocre looking finish in the end.  The spraying will cut your time down to a fraction of what brushing would take and will give you a much nicer finish.  Brushing and wiping finishes takes some practice to get right.  So does spraying, but at least you won't have to do as much work. :)

If they are already hanging on the wall I think it would be easier to brush but if they aren't installed I agree with Eric spray them. Inside the house you would have protect everything from over-spray that's why I said brush them. If your worried about sealing the wood you could use a product like Seal Coat before the water based Minwax Polycrylic.

823195.jpg

I recently did my cabinets as well. In order to to a professional looking job, you pretty much have to take them all down. I did, and then I finished them. I also took off every hinge, door, drawer front, pull, etc. this gives you a flat surface to work on that is horizontal. It's a lot more work, but the finished project is worth it.

For a top coat I would avoid minwax polycrylic. Go or something better, like general high performance poly or endurovar. These are available at lee valley.

DEFINITELY spray them. An earlex 5500 is about 350, or go and rent an hvlp if you can. Wear respirator, and spray outside (or in your garage with a tarped off section with the bay door open).