Tool Delivery?

RJsumthn

As some of you know I just purchased the Laguna 14-12 Bandsaw. So this is my first big, as in comes in a crate and I can't pick it up by myself, tool purchase that will be delivered to my house. So what am I to expect with the delivery of it? I'm guessing the driver will unload the machine on the street but can I expect anymore help than that?

One problem I see is that my driveway is pretty steep, like 25 degrees, which would make rolling it on a dolly pretty difficult. I also have a hand truck which might work depending on the size of the crate. 

How have your tool experiences been and what should I realistically be expecting? 

Thanks

I've been lucky in that they can set them right into my garage which is attached to my shop.

A friend of mine had a table saw delivered and has a situation similar to yours.  The driver off loaded it at the end of his driveway and that was it.  Typically, they're not responsible for helping you get it in your shop.

Even tho mine are unloaded in my garage, I always arrange to have plenty of help on equipment delivery day.  Sometimes this costs a little beer and pizza but, that's pretty cheap labor!

Of all the large deliveries I've ever had (tools and otherwise), I've only had one occasion where the driver didn't offer to bring the package down the driveway to my garage (I also have a steep driveway).  And with that one driver I offered him 20 bucks and he did it.  Even though delivery drivers usually are only required to provide "liftgate" service (i.e., lower it to the ground at the end of the driveway), in my experience most will do more than that without being asked, and the ones that don't will usually do it anyway with a little extra monetary motivation.  

Lift-gate delivery: MOST large/heavy residential deliveries are lift-gate service (you pay a bit more for that, it's in the shipping fee). However, sometimes when you buy larger tools, the dispatcher 'assumes' commercial delivery and you have a loading dock. In these cases, you may have to help lift the tool off the truck -- if it isn't too heavy. This has happened to me twice. One was a fairly light tool -- about 200lbs and the other was about 600lbs. The 200lbs, we got off the truck no problem, but I refused delivery of the 600lb tool and he had to return the next day with a lift-gate truck.

Driveway/Garage: In all deliveries, but two, the delivery was via box-truck and able to back-up the driveway -- no problem. One freight service in the area uses short (32') articulated trucks and unable to back-up the driveway... In that case, we transferred the tool to my pickup at the base of the driveway and he helped unload it.

Pallet jack: MOST trucks arrive with a pallet jack. In that case, it's quite reasonable to ask the driver to put the tool in the garage. In the few cases where the driver didn't have a pallet jack, I provided a moving dolly and the driver used the lift-gate to lower the tool onto the dolly.

Tools with high-centers of gravity: large tools with high centers of gravity (bandsaws, wide-belt-sanders, etc) are particular problems when the pallet is full-sized. When delivering with a lift-gate, the tool can tilt quite badly. In these cases, I've provided a sling to wrap the top of the tool and secure it to the truck to prevent tip-over on delivery. Note: this should not be an issue with a Laguna 14-12, but included for future reference.

Some mfgs place accelerometer/shock telltales on the outside of the pallet to detect rough handling. If the pallet has one, then check it prior to accepting delivery (it will be clearly marked). When you sign for delivery, you've 'signed-off' on an undamaged tool... I failed to do this just ONCE -- the tool 'looked fine', but the shock sensor tripped -- the tool turned-out to be quite badly damaged -- a protracted and lively pissing-contest ensued (was a bandsaw).

Good luck...

For some fun, Marc has a video on tool moving -- good viewing, but it may elevate your anxiety... :)

Most drivers, as per most companies' policies, will NEVER back into your driveway unless you ask them to because they worry about damaging your concrete.  I say phooey to this every time and have them back right up to the garage door.  My driveway is still intact.  The last delivery I had just the other day, I had to basically put a gun to the guy's head to get him to back in.  I know he was just following policy, but finally I had to pretty much say, "Look dude, I'm giving you the green light here, and I'm not gonna sue you if my driveway cracks.  The risk is on me!  I sure as hell ain't gonna roll that heavy ass thing up my driveway, are you?"  And he backed in.  Lowered the unit, slid it right into the shop, done.

The fact that you have a steep driveway may change the formula, and I wouldn't ask a driver to pull off a maneuver that he wasn't comfortable with.

In general, drivers are not required to help you get it into your shop.  Their responsibility is to get it to the end of your driveway and get it off the truck.  But I've never had a driver who wasn't happy to help me get it into the shop.  Of course I have a pretty convenient unload scenario.  YMMV

==>^^

+1

Eric's quite correct, the drivers responsibility really ends at the driveway, unless you've paid for lift-gate service (which most companies place in the shipping fee if they know you're a residential delivery). In these cases, the driver's responsibility ends at the end of the lift-gate.

I've had dozens of tool delivered over the years. I've always found the drivers to be accommodating -- sometimes amazingly so. I've only had one driver 'refuse' to back-up into my driveway... Basically, I pointed-out how dificult it would be to move the tool myself (and offered $20) -- he declined the $20, and backed-up the driveway... In general, if you ask nicely, the drivers will work with you... At least the drivers I've encountered...

As Eric said, YMMV...

My strategy is to let my wife take delivery.  When I take delivery the machine ends up at the end of my driveway.  My wife goes outside carrying our baby and the driver all of a sudden finds a way to get the machine into the garage. 

My strategy is to let my wife take delivery.  When I take delivery the machine ends up and the end of my driveway.  My wife goes outside carrying our baby and the driver all of a sudden finds a way to get the machine into the garage. 

Yup, I've used this strategy too.  Works like a charm :)

I usually show some cleavage when the truck pulls up. Works everytime.

If your cleavage charms the truck driver Freddie, there may be other issues in play.  I kind of like the wife approach.  She starts it off and the truck driver backs in and you walk out.