Enjoying the simple stuff...

Eric.

I plan on making a jointer mallet soon as well. Roy Underhill just did one on a recent episode of the Woodwright Shop. Eric, did you use 12/4 or 16/4 maple for the head?

Freddie, I will be making new tool holders when my bandsaw gets here. My current ones are hand cut with a fret saw and look like a beaver chewed them out.

I plan on making a jointer mallet soon as well. Roy Underhill just did one on a recent episode of the Woodwright Shop. Eric, did you use 12/4 or 16/4 maple for the head?

12/4, and that's actually thicker than what Roy's mallet calls for.  I think his was 2 1/4"...mine ended up a little proud of 2 1/2".  16/4 would be a BEAST. :D

Doesn't matter for my purposes, which honestly will be mostly for pounding down my holdfasts.  But if you plan to do a lot of mortising with it, I'd probably slim it down closer to Roy's.

I'd like to make a nice mallet, but just can't bring myself to do it when I have 3 or 4 rubber mallets, a couple of dead-blow hammers, a few claw hammers, a ball-peen or two, a mason's hammer and a factory made carver's mallet in the tool box....

That's what happens when older relatives start passing on and you are the only handy man / wood dude / tool guy left in the family.

Have you done any heavy pounding with that, Kev? (That's what she said.)

The lazy in me thought about laminating the head like that since it would be so much easier to make the mortise than wasting it out with a chisel, but I worried about it coming apart eventually from all the stress.  I know they say glue is stronger than wood and all that...but I wonder if that's still true in something like that mallet head.  Anyway, they're so easy to make I guess it doesn't really matter. :)

I used that to cut all those Dutchmen in the quilting table.  I wouldn't call that "pounding" but, it did see a fair share of action.  Held up fine.

Besides that, they're quick to make so no real loss if it breaks, just make another.

I like both of your mallets. After using the BS 16 oz Joiner's Mallet for a couple months now I have found it to be to light duty for any really pounding. I am going to breakdown and make a big Thor mallet like you two did. I will probably do what Kev did and laminate the head. 

I like both of your mallets. After using the BS 16 oz Joiner's Mallet for a couple months now I have found it to be to light duty for any really pounding. I am going to breakdown and make a big Thor mallet like you two did. I will probably do what Kev did and laminate the head. 

Makes it a bit easier James as you can taper that inside piece and not mess around with hogging out all of that afterwords..

Eric, 2 1/2 x ? x ? for the head. Not that I want to be a copy cat but y'all have obviously made them before and know what works. We're getting two days of rain here this weekend and that would be a perfect project to work on.

Eric, 2 1/2 x ? x ? for the head. Not that I want to be a copy cat but y'all have obviously made them before and know what works. We're getting two days of rain here this weekend and that would be a perfect project to work on.

I based mine loosely on Roy's, so check Kev's link.  I don't think he lists the dimensions anywhere...he makes you watch the show to get the details. :D

Just off of memory, approximate dimensions of Roy's:

2 1/4" thick

3 1/4" "tall"

5 1/2" long at top of mallet, tapered down to

5 1/4" long at bottom of mallet

(The last two dimensions are mine...I think he says 5 3/8 down to 5 1/4...but that didn't give the head enough taper, so I made the top slightly longer.  He took those dimensions at the speed of light without taking much care to get them accurately...so it's a rough estimate.)

He makes it very clear with his nonchalant descriptions of the dimensions and angles that it's far from critical.  At one point he says the head is tapered at 3*, then another time 3* or 4*, and then finally, something like, "Well, whatever...an angle a little less than 5*."  LOL

Oh, total handle length he says is 14"...that seems short to me...mine was closer to 17" I think.

• Like 1

I did watch the video. He's so much fun to watch as well as educational. I wonder where his shop is, upstate N.Y.? Got all of the dimensions and I'll take your lead and make the handle 17". I'm off to the mallet fab shop!!

• Like 1

I did watch the video. He's so much fun to watch as well as educational. I wonder where his shop is, upstate N.Y.? Got all of the dimensions and I'll take your lead and make the handle 17". I'm off to the mallet fab shop!!

Awesome!  I look forward to seeing it!

Oh, total handle length he says is 14"...that seems short to me...mine was closer to 17" I think.

Uh, hey Cooper?  Let's amend this comment to..."was closer to 17" until I lopped 2" off of it." :wacko:  It's 15" long, total...I just measured it.  Sorry dude. :)

Uh, hey Cooper?  Let's amend this comment to..."was closer to 17" until I lopped 2" off of it." :wacko:  It's 15" long, total...I just measured it.  Sorry dude. :)

I don't mean to be splitting hairs here, but if I'm going to mess up it's not going to be on having too short of a handle. HHHMMMM! Eric, is that the total length thru the mallet or just the handle itself?

I believe St. Roy resides in North Carolina.

Thanks, it's a neat looking area w/ everyone walking. The only time people walk around here is when someone hijacks their pickup!!

I just measured mine and it's actually about 11 inches including the portion thru the mallet...  Suggest cutting it long (17 inches or so) and trimming off until it's comfortable for you.  Just don't glue it in place until you have that length  ;)