Holes in Plywood with Drill Press

CaseyWilson

I need to drill holes from 1 to 3 inches through three layers of 3/4 plywood.

I'd like to minimize chip out and drill through all the layers at once. Smooth inside edges of the hole is a plus.

I'm drowning in options. What should I get for the drill press?

Hole saw, spade/paddle, brad point, Fortsner?

Smooth edges is difficult with ply. It can take forcefully clamped zero clearance starting and finishing blocks. As a rule I would stay far away from a paddle/spade. Hole saws will friction heat but can burnish with that heat. Forstners are a great option but I have no experience with a bit of that type in those sizes.

Forstner all the way...a good, new, sharp forstner.  Like Carus said, it's not only essential to back up the hole, but you need to CLAMP down the workpiece and the backer, or you'll still get tearout...the bit just lifts the workpiece off the backer as it exits otherwise.  I find it less necessary to use a backer at entry.  Start your hole very slowly and let the spurs of the forstner cut a clean perimeter before you start to plunge.  Clear your chips frequently but don't back completely out of the hole in case your spindle is not perfectly straight.

And that's a great idea from Freddie...Rockler sells patterns of all kinds.  I have a couple templates with a bunch of different hole sizes.  You can get very clean results like that.  It's probably a better idea (and cheaper than buying a huge 3" forstner).

Hole Saws ($) are only about 2" deep for a 3" round bit, you need 2 1/4" and then you have to get hole saw plug that is stuck on arbor out.

Forstners bits ($$) are great clean holes, if you use a junk board under the boards you are drilling that will help with the chip out. Also with a 3" bit you will have to drill at a slow speed.

I'm going against the grain here and saying the hole saw. Drill most of the way thru, flip the piece, and finish the cut. Perfect hole every time.

That will only work if the pilot bit can reach all the way through, creating a hole to guide the second cut. Even then, if your press has any slop, there is a risk of offsetting the two holes.

I would choose the forstner bit, making sure it is sharp. Go slow, keep the hole cleared of chips. Use backers on top and bottom, although a sharp bit should not be causing tearout on entry.