Delta 1440 46-715 Lathe

EdgewaterWW

I have a 46-700 that I got on CL.  Its basically the same model as the 715.  It works fine.  My main complaint is its a bit loud (especially compared to new lathes), the belt rubbing against the V pulleys squeaks.  It would also be nice to have a spindle lock and some other little things.  Just this weekend I was turning a bowl and i think the belt now has a softspot or something and apparently changing the belt is a huge pain.  A lot of people don't like the Reeves drives, but mine seems okay.

I also was excited about outboard turning, but have yet to try it...need to make a tool rest.

I guess it depends how much you see yourself turning, and how much it's going for.  I think I picked mine up for 140?  I don't do a lot of turning, I've made a couple chairs and peppermills, and a bowl or two.  Its not my main motivation for getting in the shop, so it serves me well.  I think if I were a more dedicated turner, I would not be as pleased with it.

The most important thing is to check the runout on the headstock, what I did was bring the tailstock in so the points almost touch, and make sure that when rotate (and turn on) the spindle that the points stay lined up.  If the headstock point does circles around the tail center, pass....you'll never make anything round.  

Thanks Josh for the reply. I did buy the Lathe also $140 from CL.

I tested it for a long time, runout was fine, but a lot of other problems with the lathe but they all looked easy to fix, Quill stuck, tool rest not smooth, bed gummed up (took two of us push the headstock off the bed), the plastic plate for speed control could be replaced. 

I got it home and started cleaning. I got the Bed back to smooth and tool rest, fixed the Quill, cleaned and oiled all over.

Started to run the lathe checking the speeds and broke Reeves Headstock pulley in two. After a lot of searching the web I found a AAW forum posting that the Grizzly G0462 has the same Reeves pulleys. So I placed a order, in a week or two it hopefully will be running. After reading about ALL the problems with the Reeves System, I may get it running and sell it fast. 

To add about 75% of my woodworking is round work not flat. Was looking for a cheap bigger Lathe (a step before a PM lathe) then my 3 Midi Lathes.  

Yeah, I've thought about that (and have replaced most of my belts with those), but this lathe basically has a CVT, so the speed is changed by moving the pulleys closer and farther apart.  From what I've read this is not a great idea with the link belts.  its really friction at the sides of the belt that keeps the drive, instead of the wedging action of typical V pulleys.  

If it breaks in the middle of a project I'll probably try a link belt.  But if I do decide to replace the pulleys...then installing a new belt isn't really any more work, since I have to remove the pulleys also.

I have read about 2 forum posting say NO don't use a Link Belt, but they never said if they tried it. Then I have read 5-6 posting saying that they are using a Link Belt with no problems, saying that working fine after so far 1 month, 3 months to a few saying a year.

So I'm thinking about trying it, all I need is some pulleys! haha 

• 1 month later...

Tim, reeves pulley from Fastenal?

Fastenal.com lists many styles of pulleys from 2 different manufacturers - Bearings Limited and TB Woods.  On the site, they do not list a variable pulley.  Basically, since they have a relationship with these companies, anything that the manufacturer makes, Fastenal can order from them; though it may not be listed on the Fastenal site.  TB Woods lists a lot of variable pulleys.  If you see what you want on TB Woods site, you can go to Fastenal and get them to order it for you.  Ask the people at Fastenal to give you the price based on "their lowest margin" that they can do.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Thanks Josh for the reply. I did buy the Lathe also $140 from CL.

I tested it for a long time, runout was fine, but a lot of other problems with the lathe but they all looked easy to fix, Quill stuck, tool rest not smooth, bed gummed up (took two of us push the headstock off the bed), the plastic plate for speed control could be replaced.

I got it home and started cleaning. I got the Bed back to smooth and tool rest, fixed the Quill, cleaned and oiled all over.

Started to run the lathe checking the speeds and broke Reeves Headstock pulley in two. After a lot of searching the web I found a AAW forum posting that the Grizzly G0462 has the same Reeves pulleys. So I placed a order, in a week or two it hopefully will be running. After reading about ALL the problems with the Reeves System, I may get it running and sell it fast.

To add about 75% of my woodworking is round work not flat. Was looking for a cheap bigger Lathe (a step before a PM lathe) then my 3 Midi Lathes.

Doug

Can you confirm the Grizzly headstock pulley fits the delta? http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0462021

I replaced the motor pulley with a Lovejoy 5010 pulley and it worked (the shaft on the motor was a hair large and I sanded it down to fit. Metric vs SAE). EBay for about $67

But for the hour it worked, my headstock pulley decided to break too.

b3c0d96a1f166a24d09e3ec997aa9be8.jpg

11b9365aa025afdc283b8125ddbd51f1.jpg

Doug

Can you confirm the Grizzly headstock pulley fits the delta? http://www.grizzly.com/parts/P0462021

No

P0462021 - SPINDLE PULLEY SET 1 $43.75 $43.75

That pulley didn't fit, the Delta Headstock Shaft is a smaller diameter then the hole in the pulley.

But I didn't try http://www.grizzly.com/products/g1495/parts  part #10A P1495010A SPINDLE PULLEY

Good luck

• 2 weeks later...

Brian, 1) how the hell did you get the back roller pin out of the yoke, and 2) what did you find out from Grizzly? I just got this same lathe as a package deal with lots of other equipment and, of course, it was the only thing that didn't work because of the stupid pulley system they no longer support. Not sure if I should waste my time with it or not. I really don't want to buy another lathe right now.

• 2 months later...

Late reply...sorry.

I ended up converting it to DC savaging parts from it and a defunct PSI turncrafter plus making a motor bracket, and an eBay motor controller.

6fd94d01d452d954ade1d51880095f07.jpg

https://plus.google.com/117386907680690205902/posts/bVj5HYtfPTE

There is a pin on the old reeves drive setup. Its been a while and I do not remember for sure but everything came out pretty easily once you pull the handle off the front.

If anyone needs the motor pulley I have a cast iron one from Lovejoy that I do not need any more. $50/alone - and if you'd want the motor/switch too for $100/for both plus shipping send me a PM.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I picked-up a Delta 46-715 lathe for almost free, but it also has a broken reeves pulley on the motor shaft like Brian Jenkins photographed above.  I managed to find and order one online, but am having difficulty removing the old one.  With the retaining ring and both set screws removed, it still fails to slip over the end of the motor shaft past where the retaining ring would be placed.  Am I missing something or disassembling it incorrectly?  Any advice is appreciated!

• Like 1

MikeM, I thought the same, but managed to get it free by using the spring-loaded force of the already broken other half of the pulley, but that would have been the next tool I would have bought, thanks!  I was worried I might be going the wrong direction, but I found a copy of the exploded engineering assembly drawing.  It was a pain, but once off some find metal shavings seemed to be the culprit.  Once both halves of the pulley were off along with the spring and spring support ring, I ran the motor and cleaned and polished the shaft with increasingly finer emery cloth grits to get everything nice and bright.  The other pulley half and supporting ring now move easily with little slop.

For those keeping score at home with similar issues, I also learned the the motor pulley shaft was not parallel to the head stock pulley shaft, which I'm guess was one of the major issues as to why the Reeves pulley broke in the first place.  Those two shafts must be aligned or else the motor pulley will experience uneven sideways forces, which would certainly contribute to breakage.  I'm guessing that it was probably lifted and moved several times by the motor since it sticks out and is easily grasp.  I loosened, aligned with a square and by eye the motor shaft and motor, then retightened the motor mount bolts on the inside of the head stock.

Having disassembled, thoroughly cleaned, and then reassembled most of the head stock and pulleys I've come to the conclusion that simple maintenance (i.e. proper cleaning and lubrication) and the motor shaft alignment are extremely important to watch.  For those with the Reeves pulley RPM speed control, I would inspect them!

Now if the replacement arrives soon, I can report back on my presumed success…  :rolleyes:

Adding a few photos and a note that I ordered a replacement Reeves pulley from the Grizzly G0462 - Wood Lathe With Digital Readout.  The replacement pulley has the same motor shaft diameter, but is about ⅝ inch small outside diameter.  It seems to work fine.  Again, the important note is that the inner pulley must be able to slide to and fro on the motor shaft as it spins so the shaft must be smooth, polished, clean, and greased to operate properly.  Regular maintenance and inspection is a must.  I ordered Reference #9, Part Number P0462009, MOTOR PULLEY SET.

A few photos of the setup:

post-17228-0-01589700-1425263946_thumb.j  post-17228-0-89902400-1425263947_thumb.j

post-17228-0-78754200-1425263949_thumb.j  post-17228-0-78054300-1425263952_thumb.j

post-17228-0-83758600-1425263955_thumb.j  post-17228-0-02385300-1425263958_thumb.j

Lathe.mov

• 2 years later...

This might be a long shot but does anyone have more pics of the inside of the headstock for this lathe. I recently aquired one and like the rest of them my motor pulleys were broken so I ordered the grizzly replacement and it fits well. Before locking it in place I just want to make sure I have everything aligned correctly before firing it up. I also want to make sure the pulleys in headstock are properly aligned and sliding well. I'm not sure if they are supposed to be close together or far apart when sitting. Hope this makes sense and thanks in advance.

Jared

• 3 weeks later...

A long awaited update to my February 16, 2015 post above.  After lots of time searching everywhere on the Internet, I came across Renovo Parts.com in Holly MI, who has been selling replacement parts for Delta.  I'm assuming that demand finally reach a point where they had our infamous Reeves pulley assemble machined to original specifications.  As seen by the photo, I ordered mine over a year and half ago, but just received my order for a 909945 Motor Pulley for Delta 46-715 Lathe.

Sadly, my experience with the Grizzly replacement I mention above has been disappointing since the slightly smaller Grizzly Reeves pulley very quickly wears the drive belt at the maximum closed speed and leaves shredded rubber all over the inside of the motor box.  I need to order a replacement belt now.

Note I haven't installed the new Reeves pulley yet so I may have more to say later...

JaredBrashears, I can send additional photos if you tell me what exactly you'd like beyond my photos in my earlier post.  I posted a movie too.