the whole table saw vs. bandsaw thing

tkpunk

So I have a bt300 table saw, which is pretty limited. Been thinking about a Grizzly G0715 as an upgrade, but now I'm starting to wonder if a decent bandsaw might be a better choice. Now, regardless of the pros and cons of those two choices, is there a good resource anyone can point me to regarding how to use a bandsaw instead of a table saw? I figure I could still hang on to the BT3000 for stuff I absolutely couldn't do on the bandsaw...

Thanks

Terrence

I also have a pretty limiting table saw (portable job site saw). So I decided instead of upgrading it that I would just get a good bandsaw. The main reason I went the bandsaw route was because of power. I only have 110 in the shop so overall I felt like a bandsaw makes more sense. I do plan on upgrading the table saw but I want the 3hp sawstop so I have to get 220 run first. I feel the band saw was the better bang for buck in my case. plus it can cut curves and who doesn't like curves

Bandsaws are good for curves, resaw, joinery and occasional ripping that may be too dangerous on a table saw. That is how I use mine anyways. I rarely rip on my bandsaw, it is not a comparable cut to that of my table saw. The bandsaw is a big player in my shop, but it will never replace my table saw for many reasons. (besides basic ripping and crosscutting)

- (furniture) quality crosscuts

- tenons (can also be done on bandsaw but not as clean)

- grooves/dadoes ( I don't use a router for these operations)

- the ability to use a miter gauge/sled with stops for repeatable work

- half laps, bridle joints (can also be done on bandsaw but not as clean)

If I were you and you only had the budget for one tool at this time, I would spring for a more robust table saw. You would be amazed that you can achieve curves in your work with a decent jig saw and a means to fair those curves after the cut ( spindle sander, spokeshave, rasp, sandpaper.)

I just don't think I would trust a band saw to make as accurate cuts as I make on my table saw. Just the slightest wiggle in that blade will throw your accuracy off. Unless you have plans to use a shooting board, then a bandsaw would be pretty decent. That's my opinion on it :)

My experience is that the tablesaw is a much more versitile machine. A bandsaw only does through-cuts. A tablesaw can do through-cuts and non-through cuts. This allows it to perform machining operations to make chamfers, coves, and grooves/dadoes. With a shop built jig it can be used for making spindles or bowls ( even spheres!). A 10" tablesaw can resaw lumber up to 6" wide. With a sled it can cross cut boards as long as you can fit into your shop. Circles and curves can also be cut on the tablesaw, although with more waste than a bandsaw. I do all his with a 1.5 hp contractor saw, but more power would make it faster. If the choice were mine, I would go for the best tablesaw I could afford and let the bandsaw wait.

I use my bandsaw for curves and rough ripping. Ya know, the stuff that is too dangerous on a TS.

Also, because my TS is not a heavy duty cabinet saw, I rely on my bs to make the bulk of cuts in thick hardwood and joint by hand and rip a thin piece my TS.

As far as versatility, I'd say the bs is more versatile for my uses. I use a lot of curves that can't be done with a router template or a jigsaw. But I have very specific needs that many people here don't have.

Lesson learned?  You can't ask a question like this, not only because you'll get 50 different opinions from 50 different people, but because none of their opinions matter.  All that matters is your decision based upon your needs...and only you know what those are.

Not that it isn't fun to knock these around on a daily basis. :)

• Like 2

I say bandsaw. You can do a lot with that saw (I have the Craftsman, which is a direct descendant), but there are things a bandsaw can do that a table saw doesn't do as well. A bandsaw's best companions though are a jointer and planer for breaking down stock.

Lots of upgrades and tweaks you can do for that saw, there's even a community for it. It won't ever have the power that will cut through 8/4 stock with ease, but it can accomplish most other tasks better than some here would assume.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

IMO, the power of the bandsaw matters in the decision as well as blade selection. As I mentioned before I am limited to 110v in the shop and wanting to stay around 15 amps. So the max power for a bandsaw that would fit that criteria is 1.75hp. The big thing that a bandsaw can do over another tool in the shop is resaw boards wider than 6". If you go with the entry level bandsaws, that typically have 1hp, the saws begin to struggle when resawing boards over six inches. That is way I chose the Laguna 14-12, it has the 1.75hp and 12" resaw capacity. Blade selection is also important when it comes to resawing on a bandsaw, especially on an underpowered saw. The cheaper blades get dull rather quickly and when a blade dulls it takes more power to make the cut. It is this reason that I ordered the Laguna Resaw King with my bandsaw. With this blade I will get the most useable power for the maximum amount of time on the bandsaw making it feel like a more powerful saw than it really is. 

I do not have a jointer either and it isn't necessary to make the bandsaw worth it. You do need a well set up jack plane (or larger bench plane) though. My reasoning is this. If you are on a tight budget and/or limited to 110v in the shop then you are looking at 6" jointers. 6" jointers limit you to six inch boards which as I stated before can be cut on a table saw which defeats the main purpose of having the bandsaw. 

This is just my opinion after doing tons of research.