Looking at second house on Thursday

pghmyn

Didn't see a shop.. Good luck to you Sam! If you're excited about it, that's all that counts.

It has a garage :)

In all reality, I am least concerned about the shop space. As bad as that sounds. That is a far afterthought to the process.

I can always expand on that garage for more space. I don't mind parking outside. My biggest desire is a driveway. I grew up with one at my parents, and I HATE parking on the street.

Good luck Sam!

I saw the garage - that's a good start for a shop....but I also spotted basement windows.  Is there a usable basement?

I didn't see anything in pictures or the description about the basement. But, I would never want another basement shop if I had my own house. I hate carrying wood down the stairs, and then worrying if the project is too big to get upstairs. I can deal with temperature fluctuations until I can properly insulate the garage and make it a nice space to work in.

Question for any of you who might know. Say this basement is like my parent's. It only leaks water when there is a HEAVY downpour. And I mean HEAVY. Happens every couple years for them. But I can see streaks of water leaking through the cinder block walls, and it eventually makes its way all around the basement floor. How expensive and labor intensive is a fix like this? What would be required to get the basement ready for drywall, lighting, flooring, etc? A practical and useable space for a "family room" - or "man cave" if you will.

Sam - I'm no expert on basement waterproofing, and to do it properly your parents should contact a basement waterproofing company.  The methods I have heard about are :

- Interior french drain and sump pump.  A small channel is excavated around the perimeter, and filled with perforated drain and gravel. The water runs to a sump pump, which pumps it out.  Can be pricey since it's pretty labor intensive, and pretty invasive if you have a finished basement.

- An expanding urethane is injected into specific cracks or holes, and expands to fill the leak.  I had this type of repair on a 'cold joint' where we had new foundation poured up against an existing foundation, and it leaked under heavy rain; it totally solved the problem.  It was cost effective, but assumes you have specific leak points that need to be sealed.

- exterior grout/bentonite injection.  I remember reading about this.  They inject a bentonite grout/slurry from the outside all around the foundation, and it supposedly seals the outside of the foundation from any leakage.  I have no idea how well it works.

- the most basic solution is good downspouts and drainage.  If possible, get that water away from the house.

Leaky basement?  Get yourself and your money far, far away from that.  I just got done dealing with a leaky basement on a house that I'm selling.  Disaster.  It was four grand just to have the mold in the house professionally killed and cleaned...and that doesn't even mention the cost of addressing the leaking itself.

Seems like you're looking at some very small, older homes.  Are you totally set on a particular area? 

Leaky basement?  Get yourself and your money far, far away from that.  I just got done dealing with a leaky basement on a house that I'm selling.  Disaster.  It was four grand just to have the mold in the house professionally killed and cleaned...and that doesn't even mention the cost of addressing the leaking itself.

Seems like you're looking at some very small, older homes.  Are you totally set on a particular area? 

I don't know if it has a leaky basement. I don't even know if the basement has anything other than four walls. I'm just preparing for the worst if I eventually found out the basement leaked.

I am set on a general location. I live in St. Francis, WI right now, and I would like to stay within about a 2-3 mile radius of the area.

The general guidelines I am following for my process are:

- Must have a driveway or large parking slab in the back. I am NOT parking on the street anymore. I grew up with a driveway that can fit 7 cars. The house I'm at now has 5 people with licenses, and only a 1 car driveway. I have been egged twice, and the recent incident of a texting driver demolishing my rear axle and suspension. I want OFF the street. Plus this saves $144/year in parking permits.

- I can live without a second story. Ranch style is preferred. I would rather have a finished basement.

- I do not want to be on a busy street. ABSOLUTE deal breaker here. 

- Corner lots are give any take. Depends on corner, and house. If it is too busy, I don't care how nice the house is, I'm looking elsewhere.

- I would rather have a house that needs a new kitchen/bathroom/etc eventually. I don't want to buy a house with a freshly remodeled kitchen/bathroom/etc and find out 6 months down the road that they violated a book full of codes. If the rooms are in working order, and not falling apart, that's great. No matter what house I own, I want to build my own kitchen and bathroom cabinets. So why not pay less for outdated cabinets anyway?

- Yard size isn't the most important factor, but I would like a nice yard where I can go out and not be nose to nose with my neighbor.

Those are just a few of the things I am taking into consideration when looking.

Budget? I plan on staying below $100k.

With all that blue painters' tape around the front porch it looks like the previous owner was getting ready to paint it and didn't get to finishing it.

Otherwise, I currently live in a house about that size with a detached double garage and am quite happy.  Shop is in the garage and the house is quite comfortable for a single guy like me.

But if I could get back to a hobby farm like the one I lived on for 12 years ...

My realtor couldn't get ahold of the listing agent for the house I linked above, but that is OK. I found another house right in the same area but much better from first glance. Larger house, but with no garage. However, the driveway can hold 6-8 cars comfortably - side by side. But what really gets me going about this place is the yard. The approximate dimensions I take away from Google Maps is the lot is 50-60ft by 250-260ft. This house is $72,000 - and really a country beauty on the inside. I am scheduling a showing for Monday and we will see where it goes from there :)

You can add that to the "words that don't belong together" thread. :D

What I mean by country beauty is the open concept already in place, with rather large rooms. Waiting for the bank to get back to me to give me a definite number on how much they are willing to loan me. I was quoted at $150k when I walked in, but I'm not going with anything near that until I see it on paper.

If I did all the framing, siding, and roofing myself, and only paid to have a slab poured, how much would it be in the ballpark to put up a 2.5 car garage?