Looking for bandsaw mobile base designs

markpelly

I have been looking around the web the past couple days for mobile base designs for a Rigid 14in.

I am just asking for people to share styles they have come across that they think could work well. I have an idea of how I could just put it on wheels, so no need for those types.

You could just buy a universal mobile base kit they hold up to 600lb's http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware/dp/B004UELZLA you just add your own sretchers I used one on my jointer before I moved into my new shop where it has it's very own home and, doesn't need to move anymore. A home made version if I where going to build one would be a 2x2 frame screwed together so the inside of the frame fit the footprint of you bandsaw screw on a piece of 3/4 ply on the bottom of the frame add two non-swivel casters and, two locking swivel casters. 

You could just buy a universal mobile base kit they hold up to 600lb's http://www.amazon.com/WoodRiver-Universal-Mobile-Base-Hardware/dp/B004UELZLA you just add your own sretchers I used one on my jointer before I moved into my new shop where it has it's very own home and, doesn't need to move anymore. A home made version if I where going to build one would be a 2x2 frame screwed together so the inside of the frame fit the footprint of you bandsaw screw on a piece of 3/4 ply on the bottom of the frame add two non-swivel casters and, two locking swivel casters.

Thanks for the link, I am hoping I can do this for less than $30, with the price of the casters and lumber. I have the lumber so it would really just be the price of the wheels.

I got the HTC-2000 from Woodcraft for my 14" Grizzly bandsaw and am very happy with it.  One nice thing is it has a smaller footprint than the bases made from wheels and wood stretchers.

As an aside, I tried to cut and paste the link but noting pasted.  Anyone have ideas why that would be? 

harbor freight has a  300 Lb. Capacity Mobile Base for $40 before coupon , I see your Band saw is 190lb.

I hear it's ok, one of a few things that is ok at HF.  :lol:

That doesnt seem too bad, I will have to take a look. I have found some good things here and there at HF. 

I got the HTC-2000 from Woodcraft for my 14" Grizzly bandsaw and am very happy with it.  One nice thing is it has a smaller footprint than the bases made from wheels and wood stretchers.

As an aside, I tried to cut and paste the link but noting pasted.  Anyone have ideas why that would be? 

That thing is pretty cool, I like the design. I think I can make something like that however. Thank you for the idea!

If you happen to have a welder, it's easy to make with angle iron.  If not, I'd build something like a carriage door.  2x2s or 2x4s, lap joints or mortise and tenon if you want the practice, but glued together well and wrapped with plywood, glued and screwed on both sides so it won't wrack. Make the base a couple inches bigger than the base of the saw all the way around in case you need to add some 3/4 x 3/4 edging to be sure the saw doesn't shift.  Go with large castors - 4" because they will move easier in the shop especially if there is a giblet on the floor.

Cindy try using the "More Reply Options" button. You should be able to choose the link button when replying normally but sometimes I've noticed it doesn't work. When you use More Reply Options it is 100% :)

Terry,

Thanks.  The quote function hasn't been functioning for me either.  I had tried More Reply Options, still didn't work for me.  I have been using Internet Explorer and thinking that could be the problem I am posting this from Firefox.  No problem, it all works now!  There must be some setting I need to change in Explorer.

Here is the direct link to the Woodcraft mobile base.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005331/29417/HTC-Adjustable-Mobile-Base-HTC-2000.aspx

One thing to keep in mind for people wanting to make their own is the way to lock the wheels.  This particular base does not have locking wheels, rather the 'driving wheels' raise and lower.  When the wheels are raised up the plaftform is flat and stable.  Stepping on the big orange paddles lowers the wheels (I lift the bandsaw a little to lighten the load to make this easier), then the base can be scooted around.  The other side has small straight wheels (i.e. non swiveling) that work fine in my garage with a concrete floor.  This would not work so well on rough terrain.

If you happen to have a welder, it's easy to make with angle iron.  If not, I'd build something like a carriage door.  2x2s or 2x4s, lap joints or mortise and tenon if you want the practice, but glued together well and wrapped with plywood, glued and screwed on both sides so it won't wrack. Make the base a couple inches bigger than the base of the saw all the way around in case you need to add some 3/4 x 3/4 edging to be sure the saw doesn't shift.  Go with large castors - 4" because they will move easier in the shop especially if there is a giblet on the floor.

I do not have a welder, I wish haha on the list of things to buy. Great feedback on the design, that is exactly how I think I will build this.

Terry,

Thanks.  The quote function hasn't been functioning for me either.  I had tried More Reply Options, still didn't work for me.  I have been using Internet Explorer and thinking that could be the problem I am posting this from Firefox.  No problem, it all works now!  There must be some setting I need to change in Explorer.

Here is the direct link to the Woodcraft mobile base.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/2005331/29417/HTC-Adjustable-Mobile-Base-HTC-2000.aspx

One thing to keep in mind for people wanting to make their own is the way to lock the wheels.  This particular base does not have locking wheels, rather the 'driving wheels' raise and lower.  When the wheels are raised up the plaftform is flat and stable.  Stepping on the big orange paddles lowers the wheels (I lift the bandsaw a little to lighten the load to make this easier), then the base can be scooted around.  The other side has small straight wheels (i.e. non swiveling) that work fine in my garage with a concrete floor.  This would not work so well on rough terrain.

I did see the wheel orientation, and I agree those would not hold up on rough terrain. I also have a garage floor to roll around on, so the small wheels might work.