Veneer Softener

I can't buy SuperSoft 2 Veneer Softener or the other one "Veneer Softener/Tamer" due to either high mailing costs from the US or export restrictions. I've seen all the various recipes that people use to make up homebrew versions of veneer conditioners but not tried any of them.

Marc TWW had a recipe for one on his free site (I haven't tried it) and also in a recent Guild video Humidor build I think he used a commercial softener.

I'm fed up of Googlin for "veneer softener" or "veneer conditioner" now :( as it always points me at JoeWoodworker, HIghlandwoodworking or veneer suppliers over in the US. Has anybody had any luck with homebrew recipes or knows of a commercial version I can get over in Europe?

My raw veneer sheets are looking like potato chips at the moment and I'm itchin to get em flat.

I've asked Joe tons of questions -- he always gives good answers -- very helpful. I suspect that if you eMail him and explain your situation, he can give you a home-brew formula that will work just fine.  I've got his direct eMail, but I know he prefers contact via his web form: http://www.veneersupplies.com/pages/Contact__Us.html

Give him a shout -- can't hurt...

At the very least it would look terrible, but I'd be worried about the long-term durability of that finish.  I feel like it might start flaking off eventually.  I'm not so sure varnish mechanically bonds to PVA glue.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that you can't varnish over glue or glue over varnish.  I know hide glue is an exception, but PVA...I dunno.

• 2 weeks later...

Well guess what? I decided to try flattening some of my crispier veneers as a test over the weekend and decided to use .... water.

It worked really well and I flattened them between two plattens with some shop paper towels to absorb the moisture. On this I placed a few cast iron stage weights (each weighing around 56 pounds). I changed the shop towels after 12 hours and the end result absolutely flat as a pancake.

However I wasn't hanging around to wait for it to potato chip again so using some Titebond cold veneer adhesive I veneered a piece of MDF substrate I'm using in a keepsake box project and left it to cure overnight. This morning -boom- dead flat veneered MDF and I couldn't see the join between any of the veneers.

One of the slightly alarming things I observed was when I applied the top veneer to the glue coated MDF. I then rolled it down with a veneer roller and then almost immediately the veneer started to curl across the grain  :wacko: . Essentially the glue hadn't started to grab at all. Maybe this is a feature of cold veneer glue. Anyway as soon as I put upper plastic coated platten in place and a few clamping cauls everything flattened out. Like Marc with the humidor project I clamped the hell out of the assembly. After curing as I said previously the end result is a perfectly flat piece of veneered MDF :) . (I veneered both sides BTW and didn't notice any curl on the lower piece as I put the MDF straight onto it). 

I left the veneer oversize and will wait a while before I trim to size.