Replacement Spindle Sander Paper

markpelly

I just picked up a RIDGID Oscillating Edge/Belt Spindle Sander used and I can already see that I need to replace the paper on some. i am new to sanders, so I am unsure of what to replace the paper with.

Do I need to buy and entirely new spindle with the paper on it? Or does the paper come off these and I can put a new sleeve on?

I the paper won't slide off the rubber spindle try sticking it in the fridge or freezer for a few minutes. I have also used something of a smaller diameter underneath and pushed down on the abrasive to get it moving. You have to remove the spindle from the machine to get the paper off.

I've had a Ridgid belt/spindle sander for years and it has held up quite well for me. Using a big vac helps but it does create a lot of dust.

They are sleeves. Not sure about the Ridgid model but on my Jet there is a nut on top of the spindle that when turned will either expand or contract the spindle for changing the sleeves.

Sounds good, thanks!

I buy mine from amazon. They sell packs with different grits. I usually buy two packs at a time.

I was thinking this might be a better option than grabbing them from HD. I have Amazon Prime so I am sure I can get these quickly.

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell the sleeves for a fairly cheap price it's one of the few things I buy there and they hold up well. I also use one of those belt sander eraser cleaner thingymabobs they prolong the life of all my abrasive's. 

If you have a Harbor Freight near you they sell the sleeves for a fairly cheap price it's one of the few things I buy there and they hold up well. I also use one of those belt sander eraser cleaner thingymabobs they prolong the life of all my abrasive's. 

I have two Harbor Freights within 15 miles, I will have to check it out next time I am there. Yes I would definitely want one of those eraser things.

Klingspor from woodworkingshop.com has quality sleeves.

Edit: careful with ordering the right size,  check for the right sized Diameter x Length.

Some sets come with 3" diameter (don't think that is a Ridgid size)

No worries!   I buy the multi-packs of a single size sleeve, in a single grit.  For example, a 5 pack of 120 grit 1" diameter sleeves.    Nothing I buy is unusable.

One thing to keep in mind...  You don't need the same range of grits in spindles you may keep on hand in flat sheets.  I'm good with coarse, medium, and fine.  60 or 80, 120 or 150, and 220.   If I've got a specific project that requires a lot of shaping or fine sanding, I may buy some 40 or 280 grit sleeves in the size I need, but those cases are rare.