Shop Vac Filter

Mike M

My shop vac seems to function by moving the dust and shavings from the floor to the filter. By the time I've cleaned up m shop, the filter is totally packed to the point where the suction is reduced significantly. It is a PITA to have to clean the filter each time I use the vac. The vac is a Rigid 6 hp model, but I have the same problem with a couple of other similar models.

I've thought of adding a cyclone to separate the dust from the air, but that adds up to a cumbersome setup that doesn't move around the shop too easily. The idea of a bag tends to get expensive since I do a lot of wood turning and would fill the bag quickly.

Any other suggestions?

Some quick thoughts off the top of my head - just listing alternatives:

• A Thien separator, which is kinda like a cyclone but more compact.  You might be able to work up a rolling cart which has a bin on the bottom, then a Thien separator, and then your shop vac on top.
  • If you want something less complicated than a Thien, you could just have a trash can with in and out host connections.  The dust and chips come in one port, and most stay in the can.  Google for "trash can separator".
  • Or, you can buy an inexpensive 1 HP portable dust collector and use it like a shop vac with a short length of 4" flex hose.  It won't have as good suction as a shop vac, and the bag will not catch as much fine dust as a good shop vac filter, but it won't clog before the bag is full, because the filter is the bag.

Get the Cleanstream GORE filter.  You can clean it with a water hose.  We use a bunch of them.  You need at least two, so you will have one to use while the other one is drying.  They last for years with daily use.  We have two of those Rigid vacuums that get almost daily use.

• Like 1

The Dust Deputy

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000004&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}

Marc reviewed it here.  I'm sure the video is still around on this site.  Attached to the shop vac, it rolls around with it.  I have been using one for a few months now, and it is remarkable how little dust gets to the filter.  I've emptied the 5 gallon bucket at least 10 times, and the filter still only has a thin coat of dust on it.  Suction does not decrease at all (well, if you could measure tiny minute amounts of difference it would show up, but nothing of the slightest consequence).

I Should have bought one years ago.  An absolutely phenomenol device.

I keep a dust bag on my shop vac but I avoid picking up large shavings with it. I use a broom and dustpan (the janitor kind with the long handle so you don't have to bend over so much) to pick up most of it then get the last little bit with the vac. 

The Dust Deputy

http://www.oneida-air.com/inventoryD.asp?item_no=AXD000004&CatId={6EE79B16-EB63-43E7-8F30-1E06240A24A4}

Marc reviewed it here.  I'm sure the video is still around on this site.  Attached to the shop vac, it rolls around with it.  I have been using one for a few months now, and it is remarkable how little dust gets to the filter.  I've emptied the 5 gallon bucket at least 10 times, and the filter still only has a thin coat of dust on it.  Suction does not decrease at all (well, if you could measure tiny minute amounts of difference it would show up, but nothing of the slightest consequence).

I Should have bought one years ago.  An absolutely phenomenol device.

That link goes to the deluxe version, does that shop vac and 5 gal bucket come with the Dust Deputy for the 99 dollars?

I really like my shop vac setup.  I built something similar to this.  http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/609/shop-vacuum.pdf

I have the so called Hepa filter on the vac, with a drywall dust bag in it as well. This is all hooked up to a dust deputy on a 10 gallon bucket. 

Its the only dust collection I have and it does well.  Easily clears my 6" jointer and 12" planer.  I am sure it is not getting all the fines though.  

There is barely anything in the bag after 7 months.

I find it very manageable to move around and it has storage for all those shop vac accessories. I wired my mine up with power so I could put one of those automatic on/off switches on it.  Plug the tool and vacuum into the cart and you are ready to go.