New Member, New Woodworker...

Hi guys,

I'm starting off small and have several tools I found on Craigslist and thrift stores. I have a Delta Table Saw, a Delta Bandsaw, Rigid Chop Saw, Rigid Circular Saw and a couple drills. 

I'm looking for a guide to help me learn. Maybe a list of small projects to build my skill level. Is there such a guide or book? 

Thanks for a great forum.

The projects in the Guild are step by step and you'll build a ton of skills while working on any of them.  Some are more complicated than others.  I always suggest the Shaker table build as a first project for beginners.  Minimal lumber and tools required, and lots of the foundational skills are covered from lumber selection and layout, milling, several types of joinery, finish prep and finish.  Multiple approaches are covered with both machines and hand tools.  The wall-hanging cabinet is another worth considering, though just a bit more challenging.

If you're not ready to purchase a project from the Guild, Marc has a bunch of simple (and a few more advanced) projects on the free site that Kev linked to, and again, he usually goes through most every step in a pretty comprehensive way.  Pick one, build it.  That's how you build skills.

Welcome to the friendliest woodworking forum around.  No such thing as a stupid question here, so fire away. :)

• Like 1

There's a wall hanging tool cabinet project that's a little more basic than the shaker table.  Also,  a really useful project for a shop or laundry room.

And check out the one sheet and two sheet book case video.  You can't gte much more basic than that!  That's where I'd start.

As much as I like The Wood Whisperer, check out Wood Working for Mere Mortals.  This guy gives really basic projects that anyone can do with a garage shop, a few tools, inexpensive wood, and no experience.  I just watched his vertical planter video, and it uses only a jigsaw and a drill.  You could do it with your circular saw and a drill.  If you search the archives you'll find really simple projects like a birdhouse, shelf, etc.

• Like 1

Another thing: Please watch Marc's table saw safety videos before using your table saw.  I always figured that the big risk with using a table saw was accidentally touching the blade.  It turns out that the big risk is kickback, which can cause damage a bunch of ways, including "sucking" your hand into the blade.

• Like 1

First of all, Welcome...

For my first project, I made a huge mistake and tackled a honey-do (dining room table)...  It was a horrible choice because the expectation for final fit/finish/etc was very high and my ability to hit that expectation was very low... I did complete the project and it did turn-out well, but I went through a great deal of unnecessary effort and angst to get it done...

I suggest building some shop jigs/accessories/etc for first projects -- the final fit/finish doesn't have to be perfect. Great way learn. Since much of the work can be done with sheet goods, the cost is manageable. You can practice different finish techniques, etc and if it doesn't turn-out great -- who cares?

Good luck.

• Like 1

Personally I like Wood and Woodsmith magazines. They usually have a variety of projects every issue. The projects range from easy weekend jobs to more complicated time consuming stuff. Just started getting American Woodworker and it seems to be about the same. They usually have tool reviews and shop improvements as well. 

• Like 1

The Woodsmith website also has a lot of free, downloadable projects - mostly in PDF format and mostly shop oriented although I've found a couple others that I liked.  The ribbon handled box is a very simple and good starter project to get you into box building.  If you don't have the tools there are alternate ways of doing things that will work if you're creative enough.

• Like 1

I agree that building shop projects is a great way to learn and to set yourself up for even more complex builds. Plus, so many of them can increase safety, repeatability, and efficiency. And all of Marc's videos are great. I like Steve Ramsey and lots of the other YouTube guys. Pick a project and get started. I'll always remember something Jim Heavey said, "I'm not a better woodworker than most of you - I just do more of it."

Welcome to the forum. As Eric said, it's a friendly place to learn a lot and get encouragement!

• Like 1

Chet, I find time has been a constant problem since I started. I agree with starting simple. My first project was some frame and panel doors and panelling for under our stairway...it turned out ok but was fraught! I then found a book that suited me style wise and have adapted a few of the plans, starting with a simple bookcase, some small bedside tables, a kingsize bed...now a small wardrobe. I would second the magazine project idea, I've seen some good projects for the future, a fine woodworking digital subscription is on my list...

• Like 1