dinning table legs

CJC5151

Im making a walnut dinning room table with 3 12 inch leafs...all my legs are doninoed into the rails. Do l need to use corner brackets on each leg also or is that just if your lf you are making the legs removable? Like I said legs are glued and dominoed tothe rails permanently and ill assemble the top to the leg assembly on site...I dont like the way tables are put to gether with removable legs because they always loosen up and make for a wiggly table...thanks guys...extra corner brackets or not

I think the loose tenons would almost as strong as a traditional mortise and tenon joint that hold the legs to the aprons. The brackets if I'm thinking about the same thing are for holding the legs tight to the aprons without any joinery like for a table that breaks down and fits in a box like Ikea furniture. 

theres-not-much-going-on-with-this-bjrku

I wasnt gonna use the metal brackets that hold the leg to the apron....I was just gonna cut a 45 bevel on another piece of walnut and screw it to the apron and bolt that piece to the legs...just wondering if it was over kill...but like countryside said over kill is better than under kill...lol...thanks guys

• Like 1

Corner brackets are good to help prevent racking.  I cut a flat 45 on the corner of the leg that the bracket will go against and then, as you suggest, cut a piece of scrap with 45s at each end.  I screw a threaded lag into the leg and that goes through a hole in the corner bracket.  You want the bracket to be ever so slightly long so that it creates tension.