What do you do while waiting for Finish to dry?

RJsumthn

This is for the 99% of us that don't have a separate finishing room. What do you do after you apply a coat of finish but still have time to spend in the shop? 

I ran into this situation tonight. Once I put the finish on I spent some time putting things away and then rearranging a few tools in preparation for my new bandsaw. I also spent a lot of time sitting and starring at my shop trying to picture the perfect setup and then thinking of the next project I want to build.

I think this could be a good poll of the week. Hint Hint Wink Wink 

I get out of the shop completely.  Helps keep the dust down.

I come read the forums or find something out of the shop to do.

Yup! Moving things around in your shop after a wet coat of finish has been applied is begging for something to land in it. 

I have teak drying in my shop right now, so I figured I would bang out two estimates today. Very nice jobs as well, 4 radiator covers for one, and a 16x28 deck. And this is just side work. Cha-ching!

• Like 1

I usually sleep :)

Like others I try to leave the shop after applying finish. Since I have a basement shop, I like to finish after everyone has gone to bed. I apply, leave the shop, and go to sleep. This helps avoid any footsteps or stomping in the house from sprinkling any dust from my shop ceiling onto my finished piece.

Depends on the finish. If it's a fast dry finish like lacquer then I'm already starting to prep the first pieces I sprayed after the I finsh spraying the last piece. If it's a slow dry finish like varnish or poly then it's the last thing I do in the shop for the night so I can just turn the lights off when I'm done applying it and lock up for the night.

I usually finish on the days when I don't have a lot of time in the shop ... I wake up a bit earlier and get a coat on before bringing my son to school then a quick sanding before work in the afternoon and depending on how I'm feeling I'll give it another coat at night after work.