Am I mental?

RichardA

A couple of weeks ago, I had just did my first fitting of my queen size bed, on my driveway!  I was sitting between the rails and head and foot board sanding by hand the supports that I was about to install along the rails.  My neighbor was doing something in his yard and walked over . He commented that he really liked the bed, but what was I doing?  I told him, and his response was... Aren't those going to be under the bed where no one will ever see them?

He was right of course, and I didn't have an answer instantly, but after thinking about the question for a minute, my response is why I'm asking if I'm Mental::::: I said, I'm making the bed as beautiful as I know how to do, and in my way I think of what I do as though I were making a woman! Sure it's pretty on the outside, but if it's not beautiful on the inside...then the outside is nothing more than makeup or mascara.....Tell me, am I mental or just a weird old man?

post-15288-0-19962800-1397437326_thumb.j

post-15288-0-32549200-1397437377_thumb.j

post-15288-0-36510800-1397437401_thumb.j

Isn't doing things to the best of your ability all the time what we all strive for in life? You can relax secure in the knowledge that nobody has the right to ask for more, Others may be able to do something better but what matters is doing the best you can in each situation. You've made a lovely bed fashioned with care and attention, now enjoy it :)

Since the journey is as much fun as the destination, and you're not doing it to make a living, then the satisfaction is much more important than the price/time taken. Oh, and I'd be very satisfied with a result like that! But if you get to the stage of deburring the tips of the screws, then perhaps I'd seek some help... :P

John

Okay Eric...I've had it with the comments about my "horse", I'm sending my pet frog, to straighten you out, and he's bringing a platter of fried ravioli, to beat you with!   And if my wife reads that I sleep with a horse, you're in doo doo so deep, you'll have to through mortise your way out!

• Like 1

Nope, you're not mental.  The supports certainly need some attention, for the reasons that another poster described:  Things do indeed contact those boards and those things can and will snag.

That said, I'd have taken it as a chance to break out the hand plane.  For straight, square boards, it's faster, cheaper and cleaner than sandpaper.  (Was it PW that did a shootout video of sandpaper versus planes?)  If you're already a whiz with a plane, you'll be done in no time.  If not, then a never-to-be-seen component such as a mattress support is a great place to practice.

My attitude is if you're going to do something, do it right or don't even bother.....

Nice job!

My grandfather taught me to sand the bottom edges because the splinter it might prevent could end up in your own hand. He also taught me that a row of screws should be " clocked " and all face the same way. It really does add a finishing touch of attention to detail.

He also taught me that a row of screws should be " clocked " and all face the same way. It really does add a finishing touch of attention to detail.

I picked up the screw-clocking bug when installing light switch and outlet cover plates.  Just bugs the hell out of me now whenever I see a switch with the dammits out of alignment...

• Like 1