Tree ID, mesquite?

flagstaffmitch

I'm not very familiar with trees in the southwest so I don't really have a guess for you.  But I can tell you this: that tree is under a TON of stress...look at the way it's all twisted.  I think you're going to find that to be very difficult wood to work with.  Maybe turn some bowls with it, but I'd be willing to bet you won't be able to keep a board out of that thing flat for five minutes.

• Like 1

So, I've worked with/planted about 3000 mesquite trees, and that looks exactly like one.  However, that cut branch looks much paler than the mesquite I worked with in Africa.  The species I'm used to is Prosopis juliflora (a tropical mesquite), which has a much redder tone to the wood and to the bark fissures.  What you've got is definitely the same genus, probably whatever species is local to you (probably P. glandulosa).

Do you know where this was growing?  Some species of the Prosopis genus grow naturally with a twist pattern in their bark, but don't necessarily have the internal tension that this would indicate in another species... 

41" diameter? that would be huge for a mesquite. perhaps that's the circumference. it would make more sense given the other items in the picture.

it is very hard, and can have nice figure. the color can also vary widely across a board.

http://www.rockler.com/how-to/timber-texas/?gclid=CPHyvf_F4b0CFcaCfgodNyQAdA

Yeah, I thought 41" diameter seemed overly huge, thats just what he told me over the phone.  Without measuring it myself its hard to say.  None the less, I hope it'll yield some useful material.  I found a mill in the valley that does urban timber harvesting regularly, then I can haul it up the hill. 

can't be 41" diameter, look at the basketball underneath it (9" according to google). given the direction of the shadows, i'd say the ball is almost directly beneath the log, giving an approximate diameter of 14-18"     

(I'm at work early, killing time, please forgive the anal photo analysis)

• 1 month later...

Here's a follow up post.

I made the trip down with my dad since the rest of my help bailed.  It turned into a little adventure...that bastard was heavy and I pretty much manhandled it solo using a dolly.  I'm glad my dad came because I really needed the help loading into the back of my tacoma after cutting it in half.  By the way, homeboy definitely confused diameter with circumference, it was only 15" or so in diameter.  The trip home was uneventful but I had to unload it when we got there because I set up a date with the mill a week later. My truck is a daily driver and having 400lbs of mesquite sticking out the back while picking my daughter up from school every day seemed a bit hazardous.  Unloading it meant I got to reload it solo a week later...another little adventure but accomplished with a good dose of redneckgenuity and angry strength.  I was late to the sawmill but the owner was cool about it and I tipped him well for wasting his time.  I had it cut 6/4 thick and yielded 3 pieces 6' long and and handful of smaller sections.  Its all stacked and end painted while it dries out.

Being a part of the process from start to finish was a gratifying learning experience.  I'll be more prepared the next time I bite of a project like this.  I haven't decided what I'll make with the mesquite once its dry but its sure to be interesting no matter the project.

photo_zps588ed1f8.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Definitely Mesquite.  New guy here, haven't figured how to put my location with my avatar yet, but I live in the west valley near Phoenix.  It is most likely a Chilean Mesquite, which are planted widely here by arborist/developers cause they grow fast, get big, and have a thicker canopy.  Their wood tends to be lighter in color and less dense than native mesquite.  From the wide growth rings on yours, I would guess it was most likely on a drip system.  You have some great color in yours, the wood on many of the import mesquite can be rather boring...

Another thing I forgot to mention is that the wood is very stable, hardly warps or shrinks at all when drying.  If your using it to turn, just end seal the chunks, and keep them out of the sun, in your climate they should be fine for quite a while.  Don't have any advise about bugs though, there is a grub that loves the sapwood and they can go to work pretty quick after its down...

• 3 weeks later...