Starting to plan my shop

Janello

Not sure if this is an option for you as it will definitely cost but, when I did mine, I sheeted the outside with OSB, house wrap, and then installed metal.  Then on the inside, I used standard bat insulation and vapor barrier.  I also dry walled and finished the interior.  My building has been in use for nearly 15 years and it's doing great.  The roof was sheeted with OSB, 30# felt, and then the metal.    

That's definitely one way to do it that makes sense to me Kev. But your right, that would drive the initial cost over my budget. This is something I have to do a few months from now...probably won't get done before this winter.

Mike, I'm interested in the insulation you mentioned above, that has a vapor barrier. Can you provide a link to your source?

This is the local place that sells it in wide rolls both unfaced and kraft faced. My plan was to use plastic sheathing between the insulation and OSB.

http://alliedinsulation.com/index.php/products/building

Here is a short article talking about insulation and vapor barrier. 

http://insulationsaver.com/insulation/kraft-faced-or-unfaced/

When I spoke to them they recommended R-19 unfaced for the walls which is $0.42 sq/ft and comes in 3, 4, 5, and 6' widths in 50' long rolls. Their plastic sheathing goes between the insulation and OSB and runs $0.04 sq/ft. If I go with R-38 blown in for the ceiling it is $0.37 sq/ft. 

Janello - when is your building scheduled? My materials are scheduled to be delivered around June 18th and hopefully my builder starts shortly after that. Keep in touch as we'll have to bounce idea/information off each other. 

My contract says.....(brace yourself)....June 18th! But the rep said "a couple months". It's all contingent on the township approving drawings and the like. 

What mill plastic/visqueen are you going with? I can likely get that cheap through a rep I deal with at work. Are you renting equipment to blow in the insulation? I'm interested how you plan to do that if you go that route?

Confession to make. I just got home and checked, my contract says August 18th. I'm hoping they will get started before that though, he did say "a couple months".