Shop time delayed... not my fault

jHop

So I get home from the latest run to the store with supplies.  (In this case, it was a pair of cans of polyeurathane spray, some dollar store fixtures, a package of ping pong balls for painters stands, a bottle of iced tea, and some oyster crackers for snack.)

I unloaded the car and headed inside (needed to get to that iced tea), when the youngest one tells me the landlord needs to get into my shop.

Not exactly panicking (I mean, it's a shop - it needs to be cleaned), I ask why.

(I probably need to start paying attention to my surroundings more... the answer was there near the brick wall that makes up the front of the shed.  Not exactly on my way from the car, but visible from the car if I had taken the time to look.)

post-655-0-94756600-1397582946_thumb.jpg

So, later I open the door and knock on the workbench.  (I prop it up so it's right behind the door.  It's the only location I can store it in.)  Yup.  Chittering.

Not sure how (or how long it will take) to evict the family of raccoons that have invaded my shop during the winter months and turned it into their home... especially now that the weather has started to turn nice and the project list is almost as intensive as the homework before finals.

Anybody else have unwanted shop-guests they've had to deal with?

I actually had two small birds fly into my shop last week. I have tall ceilings and then a loft above the space, they decided to go back and forth between the two. I started first by trying to get them out of the 18x9 WIDE OPEN garage door, nope. Went up stairs and opened a couple windows and tried to force the out the windows. I had to wait like 30 min for them to understand how to get out.

Have fun getting your new friends out.

About two summers ago I found a squirrel in my shop/garage. I had the small door open to vent the shop, was in the house for a bit, came out and found a squirrel about 10 feet in the shop just sitting up looking right at me, I said "Hi get the #%@ out", He didn't. So I opened the double garage door and backed out my truck, walked back in and Mr. squirrel is still just sitting in the shop, but now barking and Squeaking at me, so ok this squirrel is totally NUTS, I grab the air-gun and try to blow him out of the shop with 90 psiI didn't work. So get a broom and start chasing him around and around the shop, I got a few hits but didn't make a goal, (flashbacks to collage floor hockey days) by now I got two neighbors watching (in the bed of my truck for safety) so after 15 mins or so of running after Mr. squirrel that is just running from side to side of the shop (still barking at me) passing the garage door every time, I get a shot and score. Fun day in the shop, I got some cardio between turnings done.

I have nine foot ceilings in my shop and a walk door and a garage door as well as three windows. A bird flew in one day while everything was all opened up and when I tried to chase him out with a broom he just couldn't figure out that if he flew a bit lower, he had FIVE escape routes. After watching him sit on the fluorescent light fixtures, flit over to the upper shelves back and forth for about a half hour chirping at me the whole time, I finally got smart......I LEFT!  I went out and sat on the porch with a bottle of water for about 10 minutes and when I came back into the shop, he was gone!

No one likes to be told what to do or how to do it. :)

Rog

I often leave the basement door open if I am going back and forth from the truck.  One time as I am coming back from the truck there is a chipmunk at the bottom of the basement stairs.  I looked at him.  He looked at me.  Visions of spending the rest of the day trying to chase him back out flashed through my mind.  But he just darted up the stairs and I stepped aside as he flew past.  Thank you for being brave and smart, chipmunk.