My new to me No 4, errr.. no 09! just arrived

nod

A Millers Falls No9 just arrived hot off the ebay express.

I didn't get quite the deal that Andrew did, but I've now got a proper smoother. My original garage sale find turned out to be a POS, so to the internets I went. (Thanks to Graham for some email advice while on my search). I had been hunting and bidding and hunting some more for an eBay Stanley 4, but kept getting sniped, or forgot, or prices, whatever.. Somehow I ended up with was a nice Millers Falls No 9 instead. Got it for a fair price, not a steal, but it sure seems clean. Unfortunately, someone did a number on the blade, but I can handle that. And their is a hairline crack on the tote. My guess it went all the way through, but was glued/epoxied or something, since it feels snug with no play. 

I have to shrink all my pic sizes so I'll post those next, but overall, i'm happy to get this baby apart, tuned and put to work!

Andrew, I haven't taken it apart yet, but the tote feels snug. For now (fingers crossed) I won't worry about it. 

highlander, duly noted! thanks for the tip. 

quick blade shot - a bit convex on the sharpening somehow. plus a couple nicks. I'm ok to regrind and sharpen it though. Chipbreaker and iron meet flush so far which I'll take as a good sign. 

post-14137-0-93088400-1397669751_thumb.j

Loving it nod. The MF is a rare sight here, I think it's distinct. It all looks to be in really good order. If the totes broken just glue it back together when it needs it, look like it'll be fine though.

Yeah, that blade needs some work, looks like the other guy was planning paving slabs! A grinder will save a bunch of time if you have, just go real slow and cool in water regularly.

A convex bevel to the bevel is fine, I would even go as far to say that the thin irons work really really well with this method. Thicker one however I think work best with primary and secondary.

Chris Griggs http://www.woodtalkonline.com/user/4431-chrisg/ has some MF action, he's a really nice guy although he spends time on another (wrong :-)) forum. Send him a PM and I'm sure he'll help if you need it.

I look forward to some shaving shots!