C-Clamp Storage - What are you guys doing?

markpelly

I know some pay not have a lot of metal c-clamps being woodworkers, but I was wondering for those who do have them...what do you for storage? Pictures are welcomed.

I currently have mine in a tool box on the side of my bench, they should be somewhere that a little more organized.

In the spirit of bang for the buck, you may consider phasing out the c clamps and replacing them with the $3 f clamps from harbor freight. They are great to have a bunch of them around. I have yet to add wall storage for them, heck, I have yet to finish anything in my shop for "me"! :)

I agree, I do not use them as much for woodworking but I do use them once in a while. My shop doubles as a shop for my vehicles as well so they arent going to be thrown away. I think you guys have convinced me to move them away from my woodworking tools though.

I only use two on a regular basis for the fence on my drill press so I keep those two next to the DP the rest knock around in a drawer. I used to use them for holding a sacrificial fence on my table saw but now have those handy dandy clamps from Rockler.

31373-20-1000.jpg

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I just tossed my scrap of 2x construction lumber I used to store my handscrew and c-clamps to.  I had a strip on each side from more 2x4 that I had ripped off (to bring it down to a 2x3 for my lathe bench) that I used to "soften" the grip.  I stored them actually clamped on to the narrow sides, with the handles alternating so I could see 1: how many I had left, 2: how many I had, 3: what condition they are in, and 4) be able to reach them to remove them.

Now, I have two inside the shop (for the guide track for the circular saw) that I've clamped to a shelf.  (They are clamped between the woodworking tool section and the car fluids section, as I've used them for both.)  I also have two inside the house, hanging on a screwdriver rack on the pegboard wall in the utility room.  I just put them on the end holders, and insert a screwdriver into the rack to pin them in place.  I have one larger c-Clamp that I leave in the plastic "tool" box (former shoe storage plastic bin) that I've dedicated to brake jobs.  I usually use it to reset the caliper piston, but I did once use it to hold a 4x4 beam in place to attempt to drill holes in it.  If the drill had held out, it would have worked.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I use them to clamp up laminations (much easier and less wasted space than F clamps), clamping things on the bench, drill press, band saw, etc. Also great for clamping lap joints and dimensional lumber. While I have a bunch of other clamps, for their cost, they have a lot of benefit to me.

• Like 1