Tool Rack MK2

TerryMcK

I've been operating with a tool rack made from some plywood mounted across the window, as suggested and used by Chris Schwarz, for about 12 months now. It has been a good experience so I've decided to "improve" it by making a new one.
What spurred me onto doing this was the chisel rack I'd added to the original tool rack.

IMG_0481.JPG
Original Tool Rack. The chisel rack is mounted on the front LH side

Essentially it comprised a piece of 1/2" ply 2" wide x around 30" long. Into this I'd drilled a series of 7/8" holes spaced on 1.1/8" centres. In practice when putting chisels in most went in but the handles touched on some of the bigger ones causing the chisels to lean over.
I set to work making another complete tool and chisel rack but this time positioned the 7/8" diameter holes on 1.1/2" centres.
I made the chisel rack a little longer than the original but this time it only had 20 holes. I left five holes at 3/4" diameter with two of them not having a slot. The slots were 8mm (5/16") wide apart from two at 10mm (3/8") wide to suit the large firmer chisels at the left hand end of the rack.

Here are a couple of pictures from my Sketchup design for the new tool rack:
ToolRack1.PNG

ToolRack2.PNG

The design of this is very simple as it is only two pieces of timber - in my case a softwood rear piece of 4 x 1 x about 55" long and the front made from a 6" wide x 1/2" thick x 48" long plywood. They are separated using 1/2" thick x 3/4" wide x 4" long spacers glued and nailed. I positioned the spacers about every 9" giving a series of slots that tools can be slid into.
I made some brackets out of scrap oak to screw the chisel rack onto the tool rack.

IMG_1297.JPGHere is the new rack fully loaded. The whole assembly has French cleats on the back and simply slots onto the mating French cleats that I already have on the wall. For extra security I screwed the tool rack into the wall too.

IMG_1298.JPGAuxillary rack showing a few day to day essentials.

This tool rack makes great use of the wasted space taken by the window and still lets the vast majority of light through so makes it a win all around.

It took a couple of hours last Saturday. My next shop project is going to be a handplane cabinet. I've got so many now I just need to get them out of my bench and onto the wall. I can then use the bench storage for other crap I have lying around.

Not to jack this thread but, I use them just about every time I apply finish.

I did that once, but the rubbery stuff left an imprint on the wood that I found unacceptable.  I guess because it's a petroleum based product.  Occasionally I'll use them to hold up something for when I'm routing an edge, and that's about it.  Mostly they stay in their cute little rack.

I like the design and execution, except one question about chisel storage. I thought it was advised to "hang" the chisels by the metal part and not the wood because if that wood contracts and the metal part falls off it will be a bad day when it hits the floor.

EDIT: Socket chisels, that it.

I like the design and execution, except one question about chisel storage. I thought it was advised to "hang" the chisels by the metal part and not the wood because if that wood contracts and the metal part falls off it will be a bad day when it hits the floor.

I was going to mention this as well, more than once I have picked up a socket chisel and had the handle come right out.

Personally I'd be worried about knocking my combination squares to the floor, as it does't look like anything is holding them to the shelf.

I was going to mention this as well, more than once I have picked up a socket chisel and had the handle come right out.Personally I'd be worried about knocking my combination squares to the floor, as it does't look like anything is holding them to the shelf.

I have blade protectors on the tips and there is rubber matting on the floor - I've not had one fall out in the last 12 months but I suppose there's always the first time - I may add a catching lip later :). The combo squares are held in small rabbets running vertically. You can't see that very well on the pictures but it's only about 1/8" rabbet.

I bought a tapered drill bit from lee valley for this very reason, to support the metal part of the chisel. I have the LN, and I only made a prototype so far, but i designed it to support the metal and let the handles sit flush and evenly with each other on the shelf. 

http://www.leevalley.com/US/Wood/page.aspx?p=54864&cat=1,180,42240,53317&ap=1

EDIT: This is a prototype because I did this with a jigsaw and sandpaper. My bandsaw was set up for a window sill cut for a door and I didn't want to move the table and fence. 

post-3732-0-90359800-1397758760_thumb.jp

post-3732-0-42725500-1397758766_thumb.jp

Good points about the socket chisels. That's the beauty of the design you can just add bits to it as you go along. I think a catcher piece is going to be a good addition rather than mod the holes. Good idea with the tapered holes though Fred :)

Well, if we are showing off chisel racks, I'll show you mine.

ChiselRack003_zps7a58fa73.jpg

Made in 2011.

Yes, tip protectors and bottom slot for protection of cutting edges...Kind of a "belt and suspenders" approach. 

Made to hang on a wall but, it spends most of the time sitting on a shelf in the tool cabinet or on the workbench. 

I made the mallet too.  

All red oak.

Rog