Oil/Varnish Blend and Enduro-Var

skiback46

I am about to start a few projects in cherry, and really like the look it takes on after a coat of oil then sitting in the sun for a bit.  Previously they have been small project and I would wipe on shellac or Arm-R-Seal.  Now I am setup for spraying (nothing special just a HVLP gun and compressor), and picked up a can of Enduro-Var since based on reviews it seems to replicate the look of Arm-R-Seal quite well.

I could still go buy some arm-r-seal, and wipe that on, but one project has a lot of slats, and I figured it would be easier to spray.  Looking at the GF website it says that while you can use Enduro-Var over oil-based stains it should not be used over linseed or danish oils.

Anyone have experience with that?  What if I wait a few weeks and the oil is cured?  Ace, I know you use this quite a bit, any opinion?  I know I can call up GF and get it straight from the horses mouth, but I would also like to know if anyone has tried it.

For those that were interested, but didn't have an answer here is what I got back from GF:

Yes you just need to wipe all the oil off the surface and then let it dry out for a good week or two before doing it and you should be fine. We just had a lot of guys doing crazy stuff like finishing the day after they oiled it with linseed  or danish oils, applying the Enduro Var over other oil top coats, loading on shellac with wax in it  etc.  Just things we would not normally do and won’t  work so we put a disclaimer on it.