Horrors from the Home Workshop

Doomwolf

I saw this link on the local woodworking association and thought I'd put it up. The author is trying to collect 400 stories of actual or near mishaps in the homeworkshop and publish them in a book. 

http://horrorsfromthehomeworkshop.com/ 

Also, he's got a little bit on the site where he calculates roughly how fast a tablesaw blade is spinning when kicksback. It's interesting, and a further reminder to afford your tablesaw a lot of respect.

Eric, this could be a mirror of the NAHB" Lesson's Learned from 10,000 Claims." (Or something close to that, I'll look for a YouTube link later.) The point there was not to publish 10,000 stories, but rather to find trend data. I remember from another thread that reporting about saw accidents is not specific enough to really dig into even what kind of powered saw caused the damage. On the flip side, I am not sure you'd consider that less boring.

Eric, this could be a mirror of the NAHB" Lesson's Learned from 10,000 Claims." (Or something close to that, I'll look for a YouTube link later.) The point there was not to publish 10,000 stories, but rather to find trend data. I remember from another thread that reporting about saw accidents is not specific enough to really dig into even what kind of powered saw caused the damage. On the flip side, I am not sure you'd consider that less boring.

It boils down to the E-codes used by coding, there is no differentiation between types of powered saws. There won't be in ICD-10, either. It would have to be compiled by supplemental reporting by either the person injured or the insurance responsible by following up.

In a former life I was an active rock climber.  The American Mountaineering Association published an annual report on all the mountain climbing accidents in north america.  Boring as it could be but very telling.  If there were a more authoritative resource for woodworking I'd be interested in knowing the results if not reading the whole book.

I am a pilot and former flight instructor. In aviation, it is common to review actual accidents and emergencies - not for entertainment but to learn lessons from others so as to not repeat the mistakes made. I've been to several FAA sponsored seminars where accidents were studied and the accident chain events were reviewed. Most interesting was a session with Capt Al Hains who with his cockpit team guided United flight 232 to that miraculous "landing" of their disabled DC-10 at Souix City, IA.

I am a pilot and former flight instructor. In aviation, it is common to review actual accidents and emergencies - not for entertainment but to learn lessons from others so as to not repeat the mistakes made. I've been to several FAA sponsored seminars where accidents were studied and the accident chain events were reviewed. Most interesting was a session with Capt Al Hains who with his cockpit team guided United flight 232 to that miraculous "landing" of their disabled DC-10 at Souix City, IA.

The accident chain part is most interesting. I got my pilots license years ago (now sadly out of date), my brother is a mechanic for a major airline, and even now in my career in web design/technology... it's commonly accepted that any single incident/accident/bug has multiple causes and multiple points of failure before, during, and after the actual event.