whats special about festool hoses

CJC5151

hey guys im looking to buy a couple extra hoses for my festools and new enroute mirka ceros...im running drops in my shop in the areas where I use these tools....well not so much drops but taping into the trunk lines that are already there with saddles and im gonna buy new hose for each station...is there anything supper special about the festool or mirka hoses that would keep me just from buying static free central vac hose....I can buy 50 ft lengths for a song compared to 12 fters from festool...I know I would have to retrofit the ends to fit but  I found 50 foot of central vac non static hose for under 100 bucks and that's less then the 12ft festool hose....any thoughts...am I missing something here

If you're talking about using your central DC with large duct, I'd think twice about that.  I tried hooking my Kapex up to the DC and it sucked...not literally, unfortunately.  The run of small-diameter hose from the DC pipe to the tool kills the performance.  At least test it out before you buy all that hose and find it's no good.  2" shop vac hose is for shop vacs and extractors.  4" and larger hose is for DC's, and never the twain shall meet.  Trust me, I've tried.

The only reason to use Festool hose is warranty on the Festool vac. If you admit to using an off brand hose and the circuit board dies they will blame the non Festool hose and deny the claim. I read about this at the Festool Owners Group.

They were great when I broke a part on my Domino. Shipped quickly and price for the part was quite reasonable.

==>new enroute mirka ceros

To get the most from the CEROS, you should look at Mirka's hose... It's antistatic, but much lighter-weight than the FT hose. One of the key benefits to the CEROS is it's light weight. If you attach it to a heavy hose, your leaving some performance benefit on the table.

==>new enroute mirka ceros

To get the most from the CEROS, you should look at Mirka's hose... It's antistatic, but much lighter-weight than the FT hose. One of the key benefits to the CEROS is it's light weight. If you attach it to a heavy hose, your leaving some performance benefit on the table.

+1 on the Mirka hose and the Bosch as well. I bought the Mirka hose with my sander, it's a ton easier to handle than with the Festool hose. Their antistatic hoses are just too heavy and stiff. I have one 27mm I still use with the routers and TS-55 but that's just because it has a cord sleeved in with it. For everything else I use the Bosch hoses.

BTW, these are vac hoses, won't work for squat with a dust collector system.

Ok thanks for feed back guys...I see the problem with the central vac....but basically what im hering is a hose is a hose...ill look into a bosch hose but I still thinking about that central vac hose since I can buy long lengths on the cheep...I have a festool vac can anyone recommend a max length tho use...also on the topic of collecting from my dc...I have an onieda 5h super gorilla...if I step my sizes down corectly and drop a 4in hose from the ceiling and only use my 10ft festool hose that wont work huh...I know I cant run a 50 ft 2in hose but thanks for the heads up...glad I didnt spend the money on all those saddles yet...thanks for saving me some coin guys

Ok looks like boom arm and vac then...anyone make thier own boom...dont mind spending the cash on tools but have a problem pulling the trigger on other stuff...thinking of making my own any ideas or pics of your set ups would be great...thanks again

==>anyone make thier own boom

I've seen a post either here or on FOG... Guy built a wall-attached arm. Looked pretty good... Google is your friend...

The boom arm is about $370 and works pretty well... you'll have to figure-out what you're time is worth... 

Here is a idea on a Boom Arm, under $100 :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dOfM0PEM31s

And the one HHH probably was talking about.

http://festoolownersgroup.com/festool-jigs-tool-enhancements/home-made-boom-arm-25585/

I will be adding making one to my list.  I think half my time in the shop is making things so I can make things.  :lol: jigs, sleds, zero clearance insert, etc

I have my vac behind a cyclone and off in the corner with the DC.  There's a run of 2-1/2" pipe along one wall that I have hooked to a couple machines.  So you don't necessarily have to give up on a central network, you just aren't going to use the DC.

I've seen people basically take a couple boards that are hinged together and then hinged off the wall to act as a boom.  I did something a little different.  I have something that cradles the ROS that hangs over the workbench.  The bonus is that it gives a place to put down the sander while it's spinning down, as well as taking the weight of the hose.  It does mean the sander is tied to one location though, but I can reach the whole bench.  Planning on doing a video on this once I get my lights reworked, the hose is hitting the light over the bench right now.

post-13721-0-10268600-1397874222_thumb.jpost-13721-0-51608000-1397874223_thumb.jpost-13721-0-87023100-1397874224_thumb.jpost-13721-0-09881800-1397874226_thumb.jpost-13721-0-24017100-1397874227_thumb.j

And you get a little peek at my new bench that's finished enough to get some work done on it at least.  Nothing disrupts the shop, especially a small shop, like building a new workbench!

DC's move a lot of air but have lousy static pressure. They simply can't create the velocity that is demanded by most hand held power tools.

For instance, my Oneida 3hp V3000 has 3.3" sp, as compared to my Festool CT26, which has 96" sp.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You guys have convinced me to use my ft ct instead of my big dc...so ive been looking for material to build a boom arm and I came across a product called afc cable systems 2" liqid tight flexible steel conduit from home depot....not cheep but cheeper then ft hose...and because no fittings should have less resistance... my thoughts were to use this to mount over my sanding areas and just connect the ft hose I already have for final drop...any thoughts

I made a boom arm in 15 minutes with scrap and 2 band clamps. I nailed to boards together to make a corner post and then put an alarm across the top with some screws. Used a Festool toolbox on top of the CT vac then strapped the the post to the corner and hung the hose was some bungee cords.

post-6363-0-58162100-1397905300_thumb.jp

I don't understand why you would go thru the trouble of making a boom arm out of pvc pipe and then hang a hose on it when you could just connect your hose to the end of the boom arm and use a short length to connect the vac at the bottom.

That would mean cutting your pricey hose.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I made a boom arm in 15 minutes with scrap and 2 band clamps. I nailed to boards together to make a corner post and then put an alarm across the top with some screws. Used a Festool toolbox on top of the CT vac then strapped the the post to the corner and hung the hose was some bungee cords.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Your boom arm isn't impressive BUT having a barrel of whiskey in your loft is!

I don't see that as a problem. If a tool doesn't do what I need it to do and something as simple as cutting the hose shorter would solve the problem then a knife would come out in less than a heart beat!

It's a matter if you need that full length hose for a task. If all I have to do is hit a couple of quick-release clamps to have a five meter hose for site work, then that's better for me.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

I picked up 2 barrels when I toured the Jack Daniels distillery. One day they are going to be a bar.

I am thinking of changing the arm to have an adjustable length and adding a hinge so it can swing. I think a piano hinge scrap plus a bolt and wing nut plus a few plywood scraps should work just fine. Just don't see spending $370 on an arm .