G555 Bandsaw Tuning

chrisphr

Found a Grizzly 555 bandsaw on Craig's list and spent this morning trying to familiarize myself with it and tune it up. I plan on getting a riser block for it and some decent blades but first wanted to tune it with the blade that came with the purchase, to be sure there are no major flaws with the tool before I sink more cash in it.

Couple things, I found a set screw in which the socket was stripped out such that I can't get it to secure. Doesn't look like a critical part of the tool, but wanted to check.

post-14334-0-40670800-1397931994_thumb.j

Also it appears the wheels are not co-planer, so need to shim the top wheel. Anyone know where I can get shims, or an idea to make some (with limited tools)? Locally the washers I found have too large outside diameter. Thanks! Here's a picture of the bandsaw:

post-14334-0-87816000-1397932431_thumb.j

Can't speak specifically to your bandsaw but changing the tilt on the upper wheel slightly is how my bandsaw adjusts the tracking of the blade.  It doesn't move the entire wheel in and out but rather pushes in and out the bottom of the block to which the wheel is mounted.  That entire block, in turn, is moved up and down to adjust the tension on the blade.

Again, I have to stress that if your blade is tracking and tensioning properly and you're getting good cuts you shouldn't be monkeying with the set up of the saw because it doesn't fit your sense of logic.  It may be a purposeful design facet of the saw.

• Like 2